Throat erosion of .30-378?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by pigeonhunter, Mar 17, 2005.

1. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

Is it true about the .30-378 and throat erosion?

2. luvtohunt.com

luvtohunt.com Guest

I have a weatherby Accumark in 30-378. I have shot it quite a bit and haven't seen any erosion on mine. I have been looking since everyone kept yelling about it. I am not sure if there are some lesser quality guns which are chambering for this round that may not be able to handle it, but my Weatherby does just fine.

Darn good shooting gun, too!

Kelsey
    http://www.luvtohunt.com

3. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

Thanks Kelsey!

How accurate is it? (1 MOA, 1/2 MOA?)

(I'm looking at getting a Lefty AccuMark in .30-378)

4. luvtohunt.com

luvtohunt.com Guest

This is an extremely accurate gun! I compare it to a 220 swift on steroids. I spent some time working up a good load for it and at 100 yards can keep them all in less than 1 moa. With 5 shots it is 1 ragged hole. The fun part is maintaining accuracy out at the long ranges. I am by no means an expert at long rang shooting, but it is something I am learning.

I believe the world record for 10 shots at 1000 yards was done with a 30-378, but I could be wrong about that.

Either way, its a fantastic gun!

5. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

We bought one of the first factory chambered Weatherbys in this caliber and burned it up after 600 rounds. Accuracy went clear off the paper, almost.

One of my favorite rifles was a beautiful Saturn built on an FN Supreme action in the 1950's, chambered in 25-270 I.C.L. Saturn's owner, Arnold Juenkie, was our neighbor over the back fence. He developed his I.C.L. chamberings at the same time Roy Weatherby was doing almost exactly the same things. That 25-270 had the same long freebore as Wby designs. It also had a 1-14" very slow twist. We chronographed a blue pill loading with a 105 gr Nosler at 4000+FPS :shock: :shock: . We had problems finding bullets that wouldn't shed jackets. The other problem was throat erosion...bad throat erosion!

We also played around with a 30-416Rigby, which is the same in essence as the 30-378. Lots of fun, but little gain to show for all the 4350 we were pumping out. Back then it was just "4350", not H4350, IMR 4350, FBI 4350, CIA 4350, USFL 4350 and all the like. :roll: I was only a kid, but I had found my life's passion by that time...guns of all sporting varieties.

All of these drasticly overbore rounds will eat up barrels. Newer steels and better powders have reduced this by a whole bunch, however. You DO need to do some research as to powders for these inefficient nitro guzzlers.

The actual chronographed gain in velocity over the 300 Wby...not "factory published BS"...was marginal, considering the gobbs of nitro we were dumping into those cavernous cases.

I guess I'm not a fan of the 30-378. Also, I don't see any real need or application for such a round. GET CLOSER. :idea:

My opinion (and it is just that) is that a 300 H&H, 308 Norma Mag or 300 Win Mag will do anything one needs it to do in North America. This is just opinion from someone who likes big calibers that crush shooter and shootee... :wink: :wink: