too clean to shoot

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Maser, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Maser

Maser Super Member

lol this is funny cuz i jus responded to Drop-Shots comment bout cleaning guns right as i was gonna make this thread :lol: anyways i got a friend here right now and he brought his remington 1187 here so anyways we cleaned it with his cleaning kit he brought and he asked if i had a drill which of course i did so i got it and he put his cleaning rod in it and put solvent on the patch n then put the rod down the barrel n turned on the drill all the way and slowly pulled it out the barrel as the rod spinned and then he replaced the patch with a dry one n then did the same thing n then took that patch off n then put 1 on the had some oil on it and did the same thing and then he showed me the barrel and i swear to God it looked like looking at a mirror cuz it was so shiney n clean so i got out my trusty mossberg 500 n did the same thing :twisted: now i never even wanna shoot it cuz the barrel is so clean looking :roll:

2. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Mase,
    I've been meaning to try that technique but something always seems to pop up and I forget to or heck, there are some times I oddly enough enjoy cleaning my pet firearms. Something about the smell of Hoppes wafting in the garage. Few things are as satisfying as a well maintained, clean firearm but in a couple days I suspect the bug will be back to take your firearm out and go hunting or shooting, in my case it is usually the next morning.
    Safe shooting.

3. 583

583 Guest

i have a question about this, what kind of cleaning rod was it and how did u put it in the drill did he cut the handle off or something?

4. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

Maser, Just clean it the same way you did before

5. Maser

Maser Super Member

Re: re: too clean to shoot

he didnt attach the rod that has the handle on it all he did was attach 3 rods together and then the little loop thingy that holds the patch and then put in in the drill chuck the same way as u would put in a drill bit

also i think the rod was made of aluminum

6. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

I have a three-piece aluminum rod and the T-Handle will unscrew. The rod chucks up nicely in a 3/8 or 1/2 inch drill. I find spinning a bronze brush through the bore very effective. A short soak with Ed's Red followed by a spinning brush and plastic fouling doesn't stand a chance. Definately labor saving :D To speed things up I will flush out the bores with brake cleaner followed by a couple dry patches. Then a light coat of BreakFree.

Sometimes the spinning brush will spin out a choke tube. If that happens, be certain to clean and lube the internal threads.

This procedure is for Smooth Bores Only. I would be very reluctant to push a spinning jag or brush through a rifle or pistol bore.

7. 583

583 Guest

ok ic now thanx, oh yea and keep em in the 10 range lol

8. Maser

Maser Super Member

ok jim scoutten but id rather keep em in the bullseye range :wink: