Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
918 Posts
From legal shooting until about 2 hours after sunup, we sit on permanent stands positioned to take advantage of the terrain and the natural deer movement. Then, we do a series of "mini-drives" (one or two man very slow zig-zag drives) working from the furthest stands back toward toward the cabin.

After bacon, eggs, french toast, fried potatos, and sausage (gotta keep that cholesterol up, ya know), it's still-hunting until the last hour before sunset.... then it's back on the stands.

I've taken about 50 deer in the years I've been hunting, and probably half of them were taken in mid-day by still-hunting.

· Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Tree stand hunting assumes there are trees... :lol: Here in the dry West we mostly still hunt, and hunt, and hunt, and hunt...

A day's deer hunt often involves climbing over an elevation change of several thousand feet, up and down several times. We climb up to 9,000+ feet at times. The most common way we get deer is to climb Mahogany covered ridges (tough going!) and work back and forth over the ridge backs, glassing across canyons. We often set up on high peaks or rock outcroppings overlooking deer daily use trails to water or feed, also. These serve as our stands.

Shooting a deer is work, but nothing compared to dragging them back to a road, often miles away through the mountains. Sometimes we may look at tree stand hunting as time off, accordingly. :wink:

I think that tree stand hunting is about the most effective way to hunt in flat wooded areas. Since there are no viable high promontories to set up on like here in my area, they make all the sense in the world.

I have to say that I have NEVER warmed up to sitting in a hut on stilts all day, waiting for something to walk out and die. I know that it works and may be the only sensible way to take deer in some instances, but it isn't for me.

Besides, I'm getting too old and fat to be climbing up trees and ladders...might exit the stand in one BIG step... :shock: :shock: :x

· Registered
3,764 Posts
L2S that can happen,every year we would hear of a report of someone falling out of a tree stand or fall getting in or out but in the south its the best way.Get a tall southern yellow or white pine or southern straight and go to the top.I would carry food water and a jug to urinate in and stay all day,from morn to dark thirty.Here in Montana we don't have alot of trees you can climb so I hunt like L2S does now but still have the ole man tree stand.Drop-Shot

· Registered
36 Posts
Years before i even thought about "tree-stands" i was a stump sitter, tree leaner- on-er, base of the tree sitter, walker-looker.
Worked for me. I was a lot younger then as well.
Some years back i built some rough tree stands then i built some better ones then i built with the help of others some really nice condo types. You know the kind with roofs, sides, plexaglass sliding windows.Back door, nice comfortable seat.
Even put a small propane heater in one. Very nice.
Looking back on the past it was fun and the memories will last forever but my tree stand condo is the place to be.

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Drop,you hit the nail on the head, The south has so much thick woods . You can try to walk one up and it might work a time or two but your real success is going to be in a stand. Clear cuts also

· Registered
918 Posts
Re: re: Tree stand or still hunting?

TXVAshooter said:
Have an issue with heights, so i don't like the flimsy looking tree stands. Take my chances on the ground. still kill a deer or two every year. Enough for the freezer. A well built sky blnid isn't so bad, though.
Try our style of stand.... built off two or three trees, gives you a little extra height, but, when seated, your butt is only about 6 feet off the ground. They also can be built comfortable enough to take a nap in, with side rails so you don't crash. Of course, one of your smart-aleck hunting buddies will nail a small "handicapped accessible" sign to it...... at least that's what happened to mine.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Good day wwb,I know what would happen to me,I would be sleeping when the worlds largest buck came by I just know it.I would have to bring a bucket full of coffee to stay awake.Sounds nice though and as we get older we deserve something nice like that,good deal.Drop-Shot

· Registered
258 Posts
Re: re: Tree stand or still hunting?

wwb said:
TXVAshooter said:
Have an issue with heights, so i don't like the flimsy looking tree stands. Take my chances on the ground. still kill a deer or two every year. Enough for the freezer. A well built sky blnid isn't so bad, though.
Try our style of stand.... built off two or three trees, gives you a little extra height, but, when seated, your butt is only about 6 feet off the ground. They also can be built comfortable enough to take a nap in, with side rails so you don't crash. Of course, one of your smart-aleck hunting buddies will nail a small "handicapped accessible" sign to it...... at least that's what happened to mine.
WWB,

I'm on board with that. Here in Va, the folks I've hunted with for deer all use those tree stands, ratchet strapped to trees, that are expanded metal, A little seat and little platform. And tiny screw in spikes to get up into it. Yikes! Smallest blind I'd ever hunted before that was a tripod blind, in South Texas.

TxVa

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.