Trigger pull

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Jrboltaction, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Jrboltaction

Jrboltaction Guest

Howdy guys,

does any body have a Marlin 925 22LR?

Is the trigger pull asjustable? The accuracy of the rifle is not in queastion, but the trigger pull is very tough. I wish i could fix this problem. I would fell more comfortable with this riffle if I could soften up the trigger.

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

Trigger work is best left to somebody who REALLY knows what they're doing.... not to discourage you, but it's very easy to end up with an unsafe firearm by tinkering with the trigger. Unless you're very mechanically inclined, and have the proper equipment, don't mess with it.

Your best bet is to see if the factory will rework the trigger; I don't know if Marlin will do it, though (Ruger will rework their triggers). Next best bet is a local gunsmith... but get references first, as some guys who claim to be gunsmiths aren't very good.

Otherwise, PM "gundoc" on this board, and see what he has to say.

3. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

wwb makes a very good point. The reason we have "lawyer" triggers is the result of DIY shooters who were not familiar with trigger work and sued when the almost inevitable tragedy occurred afterwards.

Check Midway USA since they offer an aftermarket trigger for Marlin rimfires which along with some tuning by a qualifued smith should take care of the heavy trigger.

Safe shooting.

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Listen to experience,wwb,mountainview know alot.I tried to make a ruger 10/22 better,I ruined the trigger,the gun would fire if you tapped the but,I had to have it replaced from ruger at a cost of 65.00 in the late 70's or early 80's, the gun was bought as a present and was not in my name,I had to prove to ruger that I owned the rifle,the gun was 87.95.triggers are easy to ruin.Take to a gunsmith or call marlin and ask.Drop-Shot

5. Jrboltaction

Jrboltaction Guest

Hey guys thanks a lot. that was exaclly what I wanted as a response. I didn't know to start. And was not going to just start tinkering because i was afraid I would ruin the trigger. I'll checkout MIdway USA, as well as Marlin. :D

thanks
    JR

6. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

I took my Ruger 10/22 Mag to a gunsmith - twice; to work on the trigger. It's still screwed up. Cost me about $60 every time I took it to the gunsmith. So I have another $120 in a gun that still doesn't work.

I don't even shoot the thing now.

I guess I could buy and after market trigger from Brownell's, but then I'd have another $150 or so in the thing, and I just don't want to do it. So it sits, gathering dust.

7. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Some gunsmiths specialize in certain parts of a gun,revolver timing and tune,chamfering the cylinders,some make rifles shoot better,more accurate.Mabe this guy did not have a great skill with triggers.I don't.I just stoned a trigger enguagement group and ruined the trigger.Ask if they specialize in triggers and do they guarrenty there work,if so bring it back as long as it takes to get it right.I would not just take it,bring it back and make them do what they were payed to do.Drop-Shot

8. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

What happens if I send it back to Ruger? Do you think that'd do anything about the problem? BTW: it used to have about an 18 pound trigger pull. When shooting it you'd think you still had the safety on.

After I had the work done it wouldn't detonate the round. It's misfire about half the time. I took to another smith and no help.

9. wwb

wwb Super Member

If it really, honest-to-God had an 18 pound (!!!!!) trigger pull, you should have sent it to Ruger immediately, and they would have taken care of it FREE. The lawyer triggers on the 10/22 are typically 6 to 8 pounds.

Now that it's been screwed with, Ruger may charge to set it right.

This reinforces the advice frequently given on this forum.... get references before you turn your gun over to a "gunsmith" that you don't know anything about.