Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a long post typed up be unfornately the comupter screwed up. (actauly I forgot that the "Num Lock" was off)

Anyway two things.
First how easy is 7.62X39 ammo to by. I am having a hard time finding .303 ammo so I am considering buying an SKS. I've looked into the .223 bolt. I found some very nice guns but I just can't justfy the expence.

Second my Enfield performs up to my specs. The peep sights do leave something to be desired(IMO) But all in all it works good.

Sho†gun Minis†er

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Shotgun Minister I can vouch for how easy 7.62x39 ammo is to come by.I bought a full case for 69.00 a few years back and have almost used them all up.I got them at a gun show,I also ordered 10 boxes from cheeper than dirt about a year ago for 2.99 per box of 50,I haven't even opened them yet,non-corrosive written on the order.They are easy to get and cheap.Good plinking round.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: re: Two things

mountainview said:
What is your locale? In most places 7.62x39 is not hard to come by and is inexpensive. A lot of mail order places also carry the rounds at bulk prices as well and even with shipping the cost is fairly low.
I live about 90 miles east and slightly to the south of Fargo, No. Dak. near a little town called Blue Grass. If you a little east of Blue Grass. you find yourself in a little unincorperated town called Wahoo Valley. The town has a bar, A church a burger joint and not much else. My kind of town. :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Remington and federal make loadings for .303 so any gunshop that handles Remington or federal products should be able to order some for you.

Or check the shoutgunnews, they usually have advertisers selling .303 British Milsurp

·
Registered
583 Posts
I dunno S-Minister, that town sounds a tad too much big city for my liking :) . Actually on the trips I've made to your area, it is a nice locale.

Check Cabelas for 7.62x39 ammo as they sell the bulk ammo (Russian loaded Wolf brand). Not to get off the subject too much but any reason for the 7.62x39 other than cost? Most of the rifles chambered for this round don't have a high rep for accuracy or range. Since $$$ is a concern you may want to reconsider the 223 in the Stevens 200 which has a very good rep though no sights but even an econo scope should hold up fairly well since it is a light kicker. Also have you considered the Handi rifles? These single shots seem to have a decent following and may be open "sightable".

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
7.62x39 and .303 Enfield are about equally easy to obtain mail order, the 7.62 Russian may be a little easier to find in Staples or Wadena though probably not in a legal hunting loading. Soft points for the 7.62 are not any less expensive than those for the 30/30 from what I've seen and are not as effective in my estimation. I have also seen a fair amount of jamming with these in SKS and AKs as they are at their best with FMJ bullets. If you place the first shot well this is not much of a factor but with the poor accuracy of the majority of these rifles and bullet effectiveness, it may be a factor.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: re: Two things

uglydog said:
7.62x39 and .303 Enfield are about equally easy to obtain mail order, the 7.62 Russian may be a little easier to find in Staples or Wadena though probably not in a legal hunting loading. Soft points for the 7.62 are not any less expensive than those for the 30/30 from what I've seen and are not as effective in my estimation. I have also seen a fair amount of jamming with these in SKS and AKs as they are at their best with FMJ bullets. If you place the first shot well this is not much of a factor but with the poor accuracy of the majority of these rifles and bullet effectiveness, it may be a factor.
Welm I know Lynk's hardware (in Wadena() carries the .303 in Remington (Core lock I think) But cost is $17.99 a box. And last Time I checked they were sold out. I'm beinignt o find that it's one of those item's which is "seasonal" in that right before deer season everybody has it, then the stocks just kind of dwindle down until next deer season. Thanks for the heads up on the SKS

Mountainview, I looked at the handirifle I'm not big fan of break action rifles. I looked at the Stevens via the web. I might look more into it. Maybe I can pick up a used one with a scope? I'd like it better with a wood stock but begegr's can't choosers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
8x57 is very cheap also, so you may want to look into a mauser. 7.62x54 is in expensive too, and Mosins are good guns. i have a Mosin-Nagant M38 and M91/30 and a Chinese SKS. i think i like the M91/30 the best

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Like I said, .303 is easy to find on the Internet. In a very quick perusal I found .303 hunting style loads ranging in price from a bit under $10 to $18 before shipping and handling. Full metal jacketed rounds for targets are in the $5-10 range. Unfortunately for you, you live and shop in an area that has little volume so price is high, selection limited, and availability extremely variable. You need to either stock up when the product is available or start purchasing through the 'net and/or mail.
The Stevens is a relatively "new" model so it is unlikely you will find a used one yet. All it looks to be is a Savage 10/110 without the Accutrigger. They come in either a synthetic or birch stock so one can find them in wood. At $275 new, it would be hard to find anything cheaper, even used.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I had that model in 7mm/08, replaced it with the same thing in stainless/synthetic. Very accurate and my favorite general purpose rifle for deer and antelope. My next gun is likely to be one of these in .223 as I just sold my Rem 700 ADL. I feel they are the best value out there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It just occured to me that maybe If I put aside this cheape ris better mentality. I might actualy get somewhere in my search for a .223 rifle. Now I realy can't afford anything over the $500 mark but maybe if I put off the purchase for a few years I could get what I realy want instead of just something to "get by."

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
You are going through a process everyone goes through and are coming to the correct conclusion much faster than many of us. The Savage you mention is a good rifle at an inexpensive price so I wouldn't think of it as a "cheapie". Keeping your eyes open for sales or good deals, being flexible on model, and a willingness to move quickly and change priorities will help. I go through many firearms a year by working on this philosophy and knowing what the market values are. I keep a separate account for my gun buying and put something away towards this on every check, even as little as $5. Most of the guns I buy get resold or traded for other/better guns and any extra money realized is put back into the gun account. Your Enfield will make an excellent deer rifle and online or mail order surplus ammo is not unreasonable for practice. Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsman's Guide among others offers inexpensive hunting ammo also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.