type of bullet?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 870 ExpressMag, Jun 6, 2005.

1. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

if i had a choice between a 50 gr boattail and a 55 gr i guess standard? because it doesn;lt say..which one is more accuarate..i realize every gun is different...but does the boattail have any advantages? i have a 1 in 12" twist so either 50 or 55gr are fine

2. shooter93

shooter93 Well-Known Member

The only real advantage the boat tail has over a flat base is at very long ranges where drag bcomes an issue. Almost at extreme ranges.

3. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

so in my 1 in 12" twist gun where i use 50 to 55gr bullets and my max i was told is about 250 yds to 275yds on groundhogs the flat bases should be fine?

4. shooter93

shooter93 Well-Known Member

Absolutely....they will do fine

5. wwb

wwb Super Member

If you're trying to get the maximum effective range, try a 60 grain bullet with your 1:12 barrel. Check the different offerings and choose the one with the best ballistic coefficient. If you can get 1/2 inch or smaller groups at 100 yards (you may have to tweak the velocity up or down to get the smallest group), then you ought to be able to use them as far out as you're comfortable shooting. They will definitely outperform a 50-55 grain bullet at longer ranges.

The guys that shoot 1,000 yards with the .223 are shooting 70 or even 75 grain bullets.... but they typically have a 1:9 twist.

6. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

well i don;t reload so i have to take the velocity that comes in the box...i was told with a 1in12 not to go above 55gr...would a 60 get stabilized enough out of my barrel to shoot tight 100yd groups??

7. wwb

wwb Super Member

Re: re: type of bullet?

Only one way to find out - buy one box of 'em and head for the range. If you have a huge group, or if there's any keyholing, then your rifle doesn't like them, and that's that.

If you really want to see what your rifle is capable of, you should take up reloading. If you shoot a fair amount, you'll recover the cost of the equipment in a very short time. What usually happens, though, is that you don't really save money by reloading - you just shoot more.

8. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

i don;t really have the time nor the finances to reload right now so thats not an option right now.......

this may sound dumb..but what is keyholing?

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

870expressmag keyholing is a problem you don't want.it's the bullet tumbling over and over making a hole in the shape of a key hole,instead of going straight.223 seemed to be more touchy but I have seen it in other calibers.Drop-Shot

10. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

well i have a bunch of boxes of 50 and 55gr bullets in various manufacturers..i will shoot through these and see how they do and maybe pick up a box of around 60gr and see what happens..thanks guys

11. RWH24

RWH24 Guest

You may try Walmart; The Win white box Varmit load
    45gr hp :wink: