uses for a sks?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by kaseyhayes870, Jun 25, 2005.

1. kaseyhayes870

kaseyhayes870 Guest

I bought a norinco sks thar has been "sporterized"? it has no bayonet and no gernade launcher thing and im wondering what to use it for? im hoping that i can use it for varmit and close range deer hunting....please give me any info you can!

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

First, a trip to the range to see what sort of accuracy you get. Once in a while, an SKS will shoot reasonably well, but as a general rule, their accuracy is miserable. They were designed as battle rifles, not target guns.

If you want to shoot varmints, you'll have to get them within the range where you can hit them.... and that distance depends on the results at the range.

The 7.62x39 is a marginal round for whitetail deer; it has considerably less power than a .30-30. With the proper bullet, it's good to 100 yards, provided you're accurate enough at that distance (you need to be able to put your shots within a 6 or 8 inch circle - the size of the "kill" area on a deer). Regarding bullet choice, the most common 7.62x39 ammunition available is FMJ, and that is NOT suitable for deer hunting; you need a bullet that will expand.

The bottom line is that the SKS is a poor choice for a hunting rifle. It's better suited to a day at the range with a wheelbarrow full of ammo and an assortment of targets.

3. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: uses for a sks?

What he said. Other than loading up and holding your ground in the event of an invasion (and there are better rifles for this, even), SKS's are usually only good for plinking and for historical appreciation (i.e. just to say you have one). They've got the reliability of the AK47, so it's a durable piece of hardware. It has a lot of accessories you can get for it, it's fun to shoot, and owning/shooting one is a fun way to annoy liberals. Enjoy it for what it's worth, and you'll probably never get rid of it.

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Ditto on all of the above, there are so many superior deer/hunting rifles that are available (many at very reasonable prices) that I can't think of a good reason to justify carrying an SKS in the woods. If you do decide to carry it in the woods, DO NOT use FMJ ammo. Besides being illegal in many states for hunting, it does not provide a humane kill.

5. MarlandS

MarlandS Guest

I have to disagree to a point. The Russian RIFLE's (20 in barrel) are pretty accurate and with a good shell quite capable of "kill" shots out to 200 yards , power isn't there for deer IMHO at that range but the accuracy can be.

The 7.62x39 has as much power as the 30-30 Win and shoots just a tad flatter the 125 PSP is the SKS round.
    From Remington's balistic comparison chart
    Cartridge Type Bullet Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
    Remington Express 125 PSP 1552 1180 882 652 483 370
    Remington Express 150 SP CL 1902 1296 858 565 399 316
    Remington Express 170 SP CL 1827 1355 989 720 535 425

Check the other manufacturer's charts, the 7.62x39 round is as good a woods round as the .30-30, all it needs is the right rifle and the proper shooter.

6. wwb

wwb Super Member

Marlands -

If you check the energy figures, the .30-30 with the 150 grain has 1900 ft-lb and the 170 grain has 1830 ft-lb at the muzzle, while the 7.62x39 has 1550 ft-lb at the muzzle..... that's a pretty significant difference.

The round-nose .30-30 has a lower ballistic coefficient than the spire-point 7.62, but the 150 grain still has a 1300 to 1180 ft-lb advantage at 100 yards, while the 170, with a higher sectional density, has a 1350 to 1180 ft-lb advantage.

At the typical 25 to 50 yard shots in heavy cover, the .30-30 has about 20% more energy.

The trajectory is a non-issue... out to 150 yards or thereabouts, which is about as far as one should prudently consider using either of these cartridges, they can both be sighted in to have no more than +/- 2-1/2" - point & shoot.

My intent was not to completely condemn the SKS as a hunting rifle, but to point out:

1) They are generally, though there are exceptions, very inaccurate. You need to determine the capability of the particular rifle you intend to use.

2) The .30-30 is usually considered about the minimum for a deer cartridge, and the 7.62x39 is measurably less powerful.

Given the above, there are better alternatives. The SKS can be used as a deer hunting rifle, but the hunter had better respect the limitations of the cartridge, the rifle, and the shooter.

This, of course, also applies to any rifle/cartridge/hunter combination.... something frequently overlooked by those who believe that shooting the latest .460 Ultra-Super-Magnum-Express-Blaster will compensate for a lack of ability.

7. MarlandS

MarlandS Guest

WWB, true on the energy, but then again, I doubt a deer would notice the 120 to 170 ft pounds of difference @ 100 yards. Using energy as the sole indicator would totally discount the 25-20 and .32-20 as deer rounds and those have taken a huge number of deer in their day. When you get into the ammo manufacturer's charts where they classify rounds as to the type of use, the 7.62x39 falls cleanly in the medium sized game category.

Look at Federal's chart for the 123 gr 7.62x39 and the 125 gr 30-30......

Think about a 55 grain .22-250 loading, it's energy is almost identical to the 30-30 across the board, many in Texas swear by it as a deer cartridge out to 200 yards and beyond but I wouldn't call it a Deer round or use as one.

We, as a society, have taken too much stock in overall power and accesories and have put the real deal (woodsmanship) on the back burner so to speak. The 7mmEEEE (Ever Effective Error Eliminator) and the guy who uses it exclusively may take a lot of deer ,but, could he take a deer if handed a Winchester single shot .22 and 2 .22 short cartridges?

8. MarlandS

MarlandS Guest

Oh and WWB , it's pretty obvious that neither one of us want to use something under powered and we're both considering skill etc into the equation but let's not let that ruin a good discussion :D ;)

Kasey, you *can* use your SKS for deer but KNOW the rifles limitations, the cartridges limitations, and most importantly, YOUR limitations.
    We've got a guy over on Shotgunworld that swears by the .410 as a deer round, everyone else thinks he's nuts but he does get his deer, he just has to work at it a little harder.

9. wwb

wwb Super Member

10. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Use the SKS as a toy...use 30-30 on up to hunt deer...IMHO

I have an SKS and have fun with it. It is one helluva can killer and cheap to shoot. I once started a coffee can on the ground at 50' and chased it with the SKS out to 100 yards before running out of ammo in the aftermarket detachable magazine. :D

11. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Use the SKS as a toy...use 30-30 on up to hunt deer...IMHO

I have an SKS and have fun with it. It is one helluva can killer and cheap to shoot. I once started a coffee can on the ground at 50' and chased it with the SKS out to 100 yards before running out of ammo in the aftermarket detachable magazine. :D

12. wired

wired Guest

The SKS, while not your typical choice for a hunting rifle, will take deer if you do your part. The cartridge is up to the task, as long as you've got the skill to put it where it counts, and know its limitations. CZ actually makes a bolt action in 7.62X39 as a woods rifle, and a couple of people that I know of that have them have taken some nice deer. I was actually considering getting one of those myself, if it weren't for the small selection of good hunting ammo for that cartridge. Anyway, back to the SKS. If you can keep your shots under 100 yards, I'd say go for it. Granted, there are MUCH better choices for deer hunting than an SKS, but there are a lot worse choices as well. This one will be a lot of fun to shoot, which is why it's worth the money.

13. wwb

wwb Super Member

I forgot to add earlier.... Old stuff like the .25-20 and .32-20, and even bigger old stuff, like the .44-40, were very quickly replaced by the new, much more powerful smokeless cartridges like the hot, new, .30 WCF (.30-30) and the .30 Army (.30-40 Krag). The black powder "pistol rounds" were still around for quite some time, but after the introduction of the smokeless calibers, they were pretty much considered rabbit and squirrel guns.

Indeed, there were a lot of deer taken with the pistol cartridges in the old Winchester 73's and 92's, but you had to pick your shots very carefully. I have my Grandfather's Model 1873 Winchester in .44 WCF (.44-40), and have taken one deer with it. It was a well-placed 40 yard quartering shot, and the deer went about 200 yards before it dropped. The .30-30, given the same shot placement, would have put it down in just a few bounds.... maybe 15 or 20 yards; possibly even dropped it in its tracks.

And once, in a moment of youthful indiscretion, I killed a medium-sized doe with a .22 LR.... the bullet entered right between two ribs, pierced a neat little hole through the heart and one lung, and lodged against a rib on the far side. That deer covered about 300 yards before it dropped. In my defense, it was during deer season and I had an unfilled tag; the .22, however, was NOT a legal firearm for deer in Minnesota... still isn't. I was just behind the cabin with the .22 to get a snowshoe we had seen while eating lunch when the doe jumped up only about 5 yards away. After the whole affair was concluded, my father informed me that if I EVER pulled a stunt like that again, I was no longer welcome in the hunting camp.

14. kaseyhayes870

kaseyhayes870 Guest

i plan on using it for crop destruction on deer and my stand has like a 75 yard view from it so it should be fine...and hey if it isnt...it kills groundhogs pretty well! lol thanx for all the replys

15. MarlandS

MarlandS Guest

Are you sure we don't already hunt together? :D

16. Dave P

Dave P Guest

I bought a SKS years ago when they were first available on the retail market. I think I paid about $130 for it. It was a "fun gun" to shoot but very ugly as most military arms are today. I found mine to be very accurate but never had a place to shoot beyond 100 yards. I bought and shot some military to shoot and I remember it stunk like hell and the case changed colors. It appeared that the ammo was coate with something like varnish. Like I said it was a "fun gun".

17. surehuntsalot

surehuntsalot Member

I have a Norinco type 56 SKS
    I use Wolf 154 gr.PSP bullets for deer and hog hunting here in Miss.
    have taken over 30 deer and 75 hogs(up to 350lbs) with this little old toy rifle
    if I could only grab 1 rifle out of my closet,it would be my SKS without a doubt :wink: