Varmint, Coyote and Deer gun

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Anonymous, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Im looking to buy a good varmint, coyote and deer gun and im thinking of buying a 243 wssm in a Browning A bolt II stainless steel stalker. With a 4200 bushnell firefly 2.5-10. I've only been hunting for a couple of years and would like your guys opinion on the gun and some suggestions on other guns.

Thanks

2. grimel

grimel Guest

A regular old 243 Win is more than enough for anything you'll see. Other good choices for one rifle are 257 roberts, 25-06, and 250 Savage.

That said, let me offer another solution. Buy a mil-surp 8x57 or 7.62x54R for deer (under $100 with a new stock plus a scope) and a Savage 223 (somewhere around $400 for the varmit models). If you are just starting out and might not be sure about the varmits, a NEF Handi Rifle 223 is about $200 new. They shoot absurdly well for the price.

3. wudjalike2no

wudjalike2no Guest

get the Handi-rifle in 223(about $200) for varmint and get a 30/06 or .308 barrel for deer (about $100)

4. liv2hunt

liv2hunt Guest

I would have to agree with your choice. I am a big Browning fan and really like the new short and SS mags. I live in Illinois and deer hunt in Arkansas so I use a rifle for varmints and deer as well. I have been looking at the Browning Varmint Stalker in a 243 WSSm or just 243 win. I think either one will be great. The WSSM may cost a few extra bucks at first, but the payoff is that it has just a little more umphhh at extended distances.

5. wwb

wwb Super Member

I'd have to agree with grimel... you can look at muzzle velocity numbers and energy numbers until the cows come home, but the regular old .243 Win will do the job farther out than you should be shooting (unless you're a world-class marksman).

6. j870sm

j870sm Well-Known Member

Have you thought about a 270 with 100 grainers for varmints and 130s or 150s for deer. Just my 2 cents worth. I know many deer have been killed with a 243 but it is kind of small and that is another of my opinions. What you could do is find what you like and feels good to you and go with it. I honestly looked at the handi rifles for my son but figured I would be money ahead by spending a little more now and getting a full up bolt action for him. I think he is pleased and I know I am. A Browning would be a terriffic choice in my opinion.

I don't ever shoot my 243's for deer but I have long shots sometimes and it is lacking in the punch according to my taste.

How does anyone know better than yourself what is sufficient for what you will see or hunt. I think over gunned is better than under gunned all the time. The 243 wssm shells are expensive and you are still limiting yourself but again that is my opinion. With a 270 you aren't limiting yourself nearly as much. And some of the other calibers in the above posts would give you more such as the 25-06. I like the 25-06 very much and choose it for antelope over everything else I have.

7. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I agree with grimel's advice except I prefer the 25 calibers as a starting point for most deer (but that is a different story). In the 243 calibers, I would go with the standard 243 Win for a couple of reasons. First is cost. If you don't reload, the WSSM will run you at least 50% more in cost for cartridges. That will affect your range time which will affect your abilities which will limit your effective range which negates much of the reason for a long range cartridge. So, get a 243 Win, shoot more, and become proficient enough to use all your rifle's capabilities. Secondly, bullet construction. I use a 6mm Remington a fair amount which is ballistically very similar to the 243 WSSM. I find that the velocity is enough that on close deer (under 50 yards on whitetails weighing more than 150#), a premium bullet is desirable as standard bullets can "go to pieces" due to the stresses put on them. The 243 Win seems to be just under this threshold and appears to perform a bit better under these circumstances with the standard loadings. At longer distances or smaller animals this doesn't occur as often.
    The last reason is availability. The WSSM rounds may not be widely available yet which could boost prices and reduce "resupply" if you don't reload or are separated from your shells for some reason.
    These are a few of the practical reasons for not buying the WSSM at this time. In reality, buy what you want to, it is you, not us, that has to be happy with your choice. The 243 WSSM will likely be a fine cartridge for your uses and the same arguments I used against the WSSM are as relavent for the 6mm Rem and look what I bought.

8. wired

wired Guest

Get a Mosin rifle (7.62X54R) for your deer. Pick the nicest one they have, and it'll still cost less than $100 (typically). Pick up a NEF rifle and get a .223 barrel for it for everything smaller than deer. Lots o' bang for the buck, and those Mosins are BEAUTIFUL rifles. Two of the guys at work hunt deer with them.... quite successfully, I might add.

Or, if you want to use one rifle for everything, just the the NEF and get two or three barrels for it. If you don't want to swap out barrels, get a bolt-action .270, but I hope you aren't varmint-shooting to get the pelts if you do.

9. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Nothing at all wrong with either the rifle or cartridge, important thing is to get something you like and a firearm that fits you and feels right. Unless you are set on the Browning and a WSSM, it won't hurt to look at other brands/calibers in your price range, you may find something you like even more.

I agree with U-dog on the the need to consider cost of WSSM ammo particularly if you will be shooting mainly factory loads and have to work within a budget. If you plan on spending a fair bit 'o time at the range (and who doesn't), it could get even more pricey and might make other calibers more attractive in the long run.

Safe shooting.