Shooting World Forums banner

varmint rifle

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  vicv 
#1 ·
hey guys i'm new here but am a member of shotgun world. i'm slowly building up my gun collection and i have a .22lr, a single shot and a pump 12 gauge, and 2 lee enfields. i'm in the market for a new bolt action varmint gun. i was wondering what you'd recommend for caliber and rifle to shoot it with. i'm definetely looking at a cheaper model, possibly a savage, as i'm not wealthy. most of my shooting will be within 300 yards and looking to hunt ground hogs to yotes with it. i've read a lot on the .204 ruger and i'm thinking that it'll best suit my needs but looking for opinions on it as i've never shot one and my experience is limited. thanks

#5 ·
Vic, Welcome over on this side!

Not to knock the 204, but have ya considered a 223? Savage used to make one or two in a lefty model. Ammo may be less expensive and more available. Again, not to knock the 204, but the ones I've messed with have been pretty quirky about what they'll shoot.

HWD

#6 ·
Luv2,

I've had one or two try to turn me inside out, but it ain't never worked yet. Still a lefty! I shoot righty bolt guns, though. I can't get used to having the bolt on the wrong side.

Vic,
I just remembered a Savage I saw the other day! It was a right bolt, but LH eject. The barrel looked like it was 1.5 thick and it had a synthetic stock + the accu-trigger. Don't remember the price though, sorry.

HWD

#7 ·
thanks. i ended up finding a savage lefty in .204 with the heavy varmint 26" barrel in synthetic for around $600. still have to add rings and a scope but still not bad. i've used a couple .223's and didn't really like that round. if i'd go that route i'd use .22-250 but i can shoot a lot of rounds in a day and they cause to much heat for the barrel to handle over time. why are .204's finicky about what they'll shoot?

#9 ·
is there really that much difference between .204 and .224? even the .17's are supposed to be accurate. i just want something that shoots fast and flat and will vaporize small animals but'll take a coyote down too. everything i've read about the .204 is good. but i do appreciate all the info. that's why i'm asking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.