Walther PPK

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Seymour Hiney, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Seymour Hiney

Seymour Hiney Guest

I was thinking about getting a blue Walther PPK in .380. Anyone have any experiences with one? Are they reliable? How bad is the recoil? Any imput is very appreciated.

2. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

I am assuming you are referring to the American made Interarms version. The recoil is not bad since the PPK is relatively heavy for a .380. It is definetly more comfortable to shoot than a 38 snub. I recommend the PPK/s version. It has a metal back strap and holds an extra round.

Most of these pistols require some minor gunsmithing to be reliable. This usually consists of polishing the throat otherwise you may experience some feeding problems. This is a minor repair/modification and should be inexpensive.

The only other thing you need to be aware of is if you have a large or beefy hand the slide could catch and cut the top of your hand.

Overall the gun is very well made with a time proven design.

3. Seymour Hiney

Seymour Hiney Guest

Thanks a lot. I do have big hands, so I should probably look into that. I haven't held a PPK in many years (a relative owned one but never let me shoot it). Maybe I should stick with a full size pistol. I'm a .45 kind of guy, anyway.

4. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

The latest issue of the American Rifleman - from the NRA - covered the Smith and Wesson version of the PPK and, I believe, the PPK/s.

Check it out ..........

5. wired

wired Guest

I was looking into buying a PPK/S (the one manufactured by S&W), and the guy behind the counter simply said "buyer beware". According to him, there have been reliability issues with the S&W-made PPK pistols. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Interarms pistols. I'm holding out in case I can get my hands on a full-on German-made PPK.

6. B540Glenn

B540Glenn Active Member

I have an old ('86ish) stainless Interarms version. The manual says to feed it 95 grain round nose bullets. It is 100% reliable with those. The only feeding problems I have with it is when I try to feed it something else (no hollow points). I use factory magazines and I have not had any problems with those. Even when loaded for long periods of time (the longest was about 2 years). Though, magazines with the finger extension tend to work their way out when firing. I don't know if I'm squeezing too hard (too much downward force) or there's a problem with the mag catch. I do not use those anymore.

I do not have large hands so I have not experienced any negatives with hammer bite. I have not been cut by the slide either.

Clean up is quick and easy. I have not completely stripped the pistol yet.

My complaints:
    The red dot in the front site fell out.
    I cracked the grips by tightening the screw too far.
    The edges are a bit uncomfortable when carrying it in an IWB.