Weatherby

Discussion in 'Bolt Action' started by dh4stretch3, Sep 22, 2005.

1. dh4stretch3

dh4stretch3 Guest

Hi, new to the forums here. I'm going to buy my first hunting rifle in a month or two and I have picked the Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic in 30-06. I'm going to put a 3-9x40 Leupold scope
    on it. What do you guys think of this rifle? Accurate, reliable, durable? Let me know

2. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

dh4...

WELCOME! :D That is an excellent choice that will stand you in good stead for a lifetime... 8)

3. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) And if that reloading bug bites, the '06 is a sweetheart to learn reloading on... a ton of different bullets and powders work in the '06. Congrats!
    ///olde 8) pharte///

4. Mike 257

Mike 257 Guest

Thats a hot setup

5. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

You have made a great choice, the Weatherby Vanguard is guaranteed to shoot 1/2 inch at 100 yards. I have one chambered in 7mm Mag that shoots patterns of 1/4 inch at 100 yards and it doesn't really kill your shoulder either with the synthetic stock. Semper Fi

6. billt

billt Super Member

I have 4 Weatherbys, (2 Vanguards, and 2 Mark V's). All 4 shoot very accurately and reliably. The Vanguards are guaranteed to shoot 1 1/2" not 1/2". You can purchase the MOA Model Vanguard, and it's guaranteed to shoot under an inch with Weatherby factory ammunition from a cold barrel. Bill T.

7. Okieshooter

Okieshooter Guest

I'm thinking about getting one of these in 243 in the stainless package, which includes a 3-9X40 Bushnell Banner, sling, and case. I would be using it mostly just to play with, but I may hunt coyotes, hogs and whitetails with it. I was thinking I could reload it fairly cheap and recoil wouldn't be too bad. I know they furnish a target that proves they are capable of at least 1 1/2 MOA. Is it realistic to expect that sort of accuracy in the real world with good handloads?

I've got a Marlin 1894C 357 carbine that is fun to shoot too, but I would like to shoot a little bit longer range, and a scope just ain't right on a little lever carbine. What do you think? Thanks in advance for your comments! :D

8. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

OAKIE,

It is a nice package with a lot of applications. :D Its going to be a lot of fun to shoot. I like the Vanguards, but am not a fan of the MKV...I have two MKVs and sold my old Vanguard 270 years ago, like a knucklehead. :oops: :oops:

9. Okieshooter

Okieshooter Guest

Thanks luv2! I think as soon as I get all these Christmas credit card bills, property taxes, house insurance, etc. paid I'm going to work on that. What sort of accuracy do most folks get with a Vanguard?

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

This is a group my Vanguard shoots.Drop-Shot

300 Weatherby group
    I shot this group in 1999 from a cold barrel and didn't let the barrel cool down between shots.Not bad from a rifle that just finished a good lapping job,then I broke in the barrel and shot this group.Drop-Shot
    Drop-Shot[​IMG]

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

This posting pics is harder than it looks but with a helping hand I will het it.Drop-Shot

12. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Sorry,trying to post pictures.Drop-Shot

13. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I did it Zerbe!I just can't figure out hoe to delete past posts.Drop-Shot

14. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Zerbe you taught an old dog a new trick.I have to practice so I don't forget.ThanksDrop-Shot

15. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

weatherb

y group

16. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I'll stop for the night and read the directions again.Drop-Shot

17. Okieshooter

Okieshooter Guest

Drop-Shot,
    I found your pic in the photos. It looks like your Weatherby shoots, and so does Zerbe's! Thanks!

Excuse the ignorance, but what is a lapping job? Sounds like something that you might get in the back room at a strip club. :lol: Seriously though, is that what you attribute the good accuracy too?

18. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Okieshooter lapping the barrel before shooting removes all possible cuttings that can come from cutting the rifle lands and grooves in a barrel.Almost all of the premium rifle builders do it before sending the barrel out and thoses that don't do it still recommends it if possible.If there is a raised portion of the cut(all do)it will come out of the barrel when shot if your the luckiest man on earth,if not it gets embedded in the barrel and with each shot it tears a gouge along the barrel till it exits or gets so embedded it won't budge.When metal displaces metal something has to move,the lands & groves give way and creates and uneven spiral.Those words was from the barrel maker randy or richard Lilja,I can't remember which one I talked to.I wanted him to square the action on my Ruger and rebarrel it,he doesn't tune actions and wanted a gunsmith to do it and send it to him to rebarrel it,tooooo much money.He recomended a man named Cowen rifle builders in Renton Washington to square the action,I got a Shelin select barrel from dave cowen and had him do the while job for 275.00 less.You can also lapp the locking lugs which takes a micro amount of metal off to secure at least 80% contact,I like 100% but if you take too much you need a headspace guage to check headspace to make sure your ok.Then there is lapping the bolt rails(Don't try this on a Savage,you will be disapointed)that is where you take all enevenly cut and rough surfaces and make them even and smooth as snot on glass.I have lapped barrels where accuracy wasn't any better than before the lapping job but cleaning was 10 times easier as the rough places in a barrel was gone.You can tell if a barrel will benifit from lapping if it takes too long to remove copper,also you can push a cotten ball through with a cleaning rod and look through the bore with a borelight and see if any cotton is left in the barrel.After I bore lapp a rifle I use the cotton ball trick to see if I need to go again.If that didn't answer your question jast ask and I will be more than happy to ellaborate.PS I'm too old and worn out to benifit from the other kind of lapping that you referred to,too bad it sounds fun!.Drop-Shot