Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put apeture sights on my marlin 1895 cowboy 45/70,I want one to mount to the reciever and a front post.Any ideas on what make of sights I should be looking at?Drop-Shot

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with a Lyman model 48. I think they and others of similar style are a great enhancement to a lever rifle and anything else is an eyesore. Anything that has been around nearly 100 years has to have something going for it. That Jack O'Connor used them extensively is also a plus.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uglydog thats not the one that mounts on the part where your right hand is supposed to go is it?My brother in law has one that mounts there(behind the hammer,on the stock)on his 348 win BLR and it works fine but on the marlin do have enough room to hang on to the stock?Where the top screws are is where I put my hand to hang on with and with full house loads you do have to hang on.I have heard complaints that model will tear the web on your hand,or am I thinking of another type?Drop-Shot

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
These gon on the top of the reciever, kind of above and forward of the hammer when it is fired. I think the type you mention are tang sights. I have seen them on lever actions but feel they look better on the old rolling blocks and other "buffalo" type guns.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your right bud,I remember the term "tang sight" now that you mention it.I will check on the lyman 48 monday,or mabe I will look through Brownells or Midway catalogs.As always thanks for you insight.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've looked at all my catalogs and can't find the Lyman 48,is that one you have to drill and tap the side of the reciever?I hope not as I'm not willing to do that to my gun,I was hoping to find something that would bolt to the top of the reciever that would work.I will check some more to find out about the Lyman 48.Thanks,Drop-Shot

·
Registered
289 Posts
I do believe that for that model the tang sights are the only way to achieve the aperture sight.

The Marlin web page even mentions that they moved the serial number off of the tang so a sight could be installed.

I don't think that rifle has any holes drilled and tapped on the receiver.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Papa,I have tried to use the tang aperture sights and wasn't comfortable with them,it impeded my grip and was told on hard kicking guns it could damage the web between the thumb and fore finger.I'll stick with buckhorn sights.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The 48 did attach to the side of the reciever but I thought the Marlins were tapped for this, at least mine is. XS Sights has a peep that mounts to a Weaver base as does New England something or other. I don't have my MidwayUSA catalog handy but I know there were some in there. Try their website, they probably have the biggest selection.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uglydog mine is tapped on the top of the reciever and I looked at several in the midway catalog,I'm gonna go to my local gunsmith to see some he uses,he talked good of several and said I would have to handle some to find out which one I liked better,the ones like you talked about is the "ultimate" he says cause you can adjust them so easy.Some of the ones I saw in the catalog looked like the apertures were so large you could loose the front sight side to side.I will look at what he has, and thanks for your years of knowledge,we have a knowledge base here at shootingworld that is like no other,wide and deep,where one leaves off another comes in.Thanks to all of you.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
162 Posts
XS Systems makes the "Ghost" series of apeture or "ghostring" sights. They are simple, unobtrusive, tough, and allow for very fast target acquisition.
I like them better than the Lyman or Willams sights because they don't hang off the side of the receiver, plus they are ideal for short to mid range hunting.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Vashooter,I looked at them and got caught up in a new rifle when Winchester said they were going out of business and forgot all about the aperture sight.Plus I am having another back operation June 13 and most likely won't shoot the big 45/70 again this year.Thanks for 1st hand knowledge of the Ghost XS system and keep in touch buddy.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dropshot- good luck with the surgery. We'll keep you in our thoughts.
I'm putting the XS Ghost sights on my new Winchester 94 Ranger in 30-30 that I just picked up. They're a good design - the front ramp sight has a bright white line down the middle with black on either side of it so that the front sight (which is what you focus on with apeture sights) clearly stands out against both light and dark backgrounds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.