Shooting World Forums banner

What are you hunting now?

9K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  260rem 
#1 ·
:?: Since most of the big game seasons are over, what are you guys hunting now?????

#2 ·
Mostly little round orange clay discs. Man, you gotta cook them things FOREVER before they get tender..... and the taste.... they need more than salt & pepper, I'll tell you that.

P.S. I don't want them to become extinct, so I make sure to leave some breeding stock each time I go.

#3 ·
:D Dropshot, do you do any small game or varmit hunting in the winter? At present I am in New Mex. the quail hunting was suppose to be out standing. So far it isn't. Haven't seen any coyotes either. I think Uglydog usually has a hound hunt for coyotes and cats in the winter. We are headed for Wy. the first of the week, but it is snowy and cold there. I have heard coyote hunting is tough due to the roads being blown shut. Usually, we hunt coyotes all winter with some cottontail or crow hunting thrown in for a change. There seem to be some blacktailed jacks in this area. I am going to try for some of them this evening with my Marlin .357. What up with everyone :?: we can't sit around all winter waiting for spring turkey to start :shock:

#5 ·
I'm still chasing Canada geese this week ..... then switch over to Snows at the end of Feb. Then its on to that little orange disk that wwb was talking about

#6 ·
Rabbit season runs until the end of the month. There's the ever present coyote and groundhogs. Turkey opens on April 12th. I reckon I'll haved to go down to the river and jig up a couple of Smallmouths until turkey opens. I need to practice with my mouth call a bit. About the second yelp, my wife'll come threatening ,if I do it in the house, so river bank here I come!

HWD

#7 ·
Re: re: What are you hunting now?

Wyo. Coyote Hunter said:
wwb, do you shoot sporting clays, trap or skeet or all of them???? Skeet kicks my butts. I only shot sporting clays a few times. May try it this winter if I get to visit my pal in Tx.
I shoot trap only in the summer, with the same gang I've shot with for nearly 20 years - it's a tradition and they're a great bunch, otherwise I'd quit. I enjoy Skeet and Sporting Clays far more than trap... in the winter, though, I substitute 5-stand for Sporting Clays, since most of the SC courses are snowed in.

If you shoot skeet for fun, shoot with an unmounted gun, and just tell the puller "Ready", and have him pull the bird or birds at a random time. It's more like grouse or pheasant hunting, and it will do wonders for your kill percentage when bird season comes around.

#8 ·
I hunt some peace and quiet some days and shot a long walk yesterday,, it snowed today and we expect up to 6" tomorrow so I'm going to hunt some deep snow and try to shoot a drift or 2 :mrgreen:

#9 ·
I'm pretty much at an "in between" point, bird seasons ended a month ago up here and I took my trip south for quail a couple weeks ago. The snow is deep enough I don't care to hike through it on snowshoes for coyotes and the cat season ended the same time as birds. Rabbit and squirrel is open to the end of the month but I don't hunt them much any more. Currently, I'm force breaking a couple of dogs to retrieve while waiting for the spring crow season to arrive in March as well as doing some serious dog training. Starting in April, I'll do some woodcock banding with a licensed buddy then some turkey hunting in May. I am also a pretty serious sporting clays competitor which will be more of a focus for me this year, I hope.

#11 ·
:D Sounds like everyone is keeping busy. WWB, I will try your suggestion with skeet, but I have trouble hitting them with the gun mounted let alone down. :oops: Huntsw/dogs, are you shooting groundhogs already :shock: I hunted them a bunch in West Va. and Penna., but usually it was in the summer. They are wonderful game. I wish we had them in the west. Rockchucks mostly live in the mts. and hurt very little. I shoot a very few, but honestly can't enjoy shooting them like groundhogs. What is your 'chuck rifle? :?:

#13 ·
yote season is drawing to a close around here:cry: We gave them hell but all good things must come to an end. But i supose i'll go after the snow geese in a serious manner. We've got that unlimited season down here till april or so. No limit and you don't have to use a plug. Its pretty good hunting :twisted: although ammo will break a man lol

#18 ·
When I was duck hunting with my son, out in Idaho, he told me that there were one or two that his dog wouldn't even eat. I don't know why, but it seems they were some kind of diving duck. I reckon what they ate was stuff off of the bottom. I think over on shotgunworld they had a pretty good discussion on how to fix up a loon or coot. Some of the recipes sounded like the recipes for carp. " Clean carp well. Lay it out on a fresh cut cedar board and cook over charcoal until it's fork tender. Remove from coals and THROW THE DANG CARP AWAY! Eat board!"

HWD

#20 ·
HWD... you thinkin' about Mergansers ? We call 'em "fish ducks", and common wisdom is that they taste terrible.... never tried one, so I can't confirm that. I have, however, had coot... it's no match for a mallard or bluebill, but it ain't all that bad.

#21 ·
wy. coyote hunter. No it isn't difficult finding a place to hunt. We normally set up a hundred or so full body decoys and an electronic caller. Or we just sneak up on em. Either works very well. We have approximately 30,000 acres of flooded rice fields to hunt so we normally have no problem finding birds.

#23 ·
well, i agree, those orange disc thingys are tuff on the teeth. took me 6 hours to get mine tender. they also got these paper looking things with rings on them, sure are tasty.

actually, does paper,disc thingys, anything i can find count on hunting? if not, then nothing. :lol: :D :wink:

#24 ·
well, northern mn just opened its chicken season........i wish. :lol: :lol: wouldnt that be funny? a season where chickens roam free or fenced in in a big forest or such and u sit in a stand with a 22 or 17 or bb gun thingy and shoot? i think that woulkd be fun/kool. tell me wat u think, if i have a good idea or i am a little "wacko"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.