Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm better than just average shot with a rifle and pistol but am poor at shotgunning,my goal is to hit the trap range and become better with a shotgun,I also want to keep my edge with a rifle by alot of practice.Drop-Shot

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
L2S I'm looking forward to it,I will be scoping out even better hunting spots as soon as the snow up top melts so we can have several spots available.There is a story going around about a muley thats almost as big as an elk close to a spot I used to gold prospect,been shot at twice and no hits yet.Drop-Shot

· Registered
61 Posts
I have a trip for wolves planned on snowmachine for March. In April I'm planning on going down on the Taylor Highway near Chicken to look for Grizzly. For May I plan on floating Beaver creek looking for Black Bear. June and July, I plan fishing for Halibut out of Valdez, and fishing for King Salmon on the Gulkana. August, Caribou in unit 13, the Denali Highway. Then in September, into the Wood River Controlled Use Area for Moose.

Gosh, I love being retired in Alaska.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow Sourdough,sounds like you have some great hunting ahead.I have heard that area 13 is one of the hottest for carribou,I just have to visit Alaske before I die.Drop-Shot

· Registered
61 Posts
That's what makes it really nice to have retired in Alaska. In March I'll use my own snowmachine. I'll drive about 1 hour south and unload the machine then go into the mountains. Cost fuel for snowmachine and food for two weeks. April I'll split the cost of driving with a couple of friends, fuel for my 4-wheeler, and food for a week or more. In may I'll drive 1 hour north then put the canoe into a small river and drift for 4 days. Spend a couple days at home then do it over again on another river. June and July will be expensive, fuel to go to Valdez, then pay for a Charter boat for Halibut. On the Gulkana I will have to pay for fuel for my little boat for an hours run upstream, and food again for a week or longer. In august I'll split the cost of fuel with a friend to drive to the Denali highway. Then in Spetember I'll go in with a group of friends and we split the cost of fuel and food.

Ends up being cheaper than staying home. If I stay home I will have to take the wife out to eat 5 to 6 times a week. As for a licsense, I have a perminate DAV hunting and fishing licsense, all tags are no cost for residents. If you can stand the property taxes, and the cold, Alaska is a great place to retire.

· Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Now, Duckie...don't feel too bad. At least you live where you can get several deer tags, just for the asking. Here in my State we residents have to draw to get a tag about every two years, or three... :?

· Registered
61 Posts
OOPS, I got carried away, forgot the issue I was to respond to. Goals. My goal before next fall is to be able to hit a 9" target at 800 yrds consistantly. I'm looking at either buying or building a .338-378 just for this purpose. My partner is aiming for a flat 1000 yards. I think my goal is more obtainable. We'll know by August.

· Registered
36 Posts
Re: re: What are your goals for this year?

luv2safari said:
Sav .250 said:
Get in good physical shape as my son sold one of his ATV`s....... looks like i`ll be walking more and staying longer.
GOOD! The object of hunting is to walk them up, not ride them down... :wink:
Not a case of "ride them down" more of a case of old legs.
Don`t hunt from a ATV just ride to my stand or get a ride to the top of the mountain then the walk-about is so much nicer.
Seems like old-legs respond better to a down hill direction. :wink:

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sourdough I met a man that was trying to up the members of a club he hunts in,I met him at a gun show in Chalias Wa,he had some members that were 500 yards members and 800 and 1000 yards,he has killed at 600 yards I think and was working on 800 yards.He was using a 300 weatherby and was looking to upgrade with one of the super 30's for the 1000 yard kill.I didn't join,I can't see that far,I have gotten too old and my eyes don't want to change so I just do what they say.These long rangers they call them selves, practice weekly at those long ranges,if they don't log in the hours they don't get to long range hunt.My goal is to become a 300 yard shooter and not miss,I practice out to those ranges but I'm not there yet,I still have alot of shooting to do.Drop-Shot

· Registered
79 Posts
My goals this year are to: catch my limit of three 5 foot American White Sturgeon and five Salmon on my April 12-15 fishing extravaganza on the Columbia River near Portland in 4 days; to draw a double elk license in December on a Ranching for Wildlife property in Colorado (difficult to draw and a hard hunt) and to get a 6X6 bull and a big Buck in GMU -37 atop the Williams Fork Mountains. And to catch lots of big trout all summer. Lofty goals I know but that is what goals are for. Mert

· Registered
426 Posts
My goal is to master the open sights on my .303 SMLE to the point where I can hit a gallon jug 3-out-of-5 shots at a hunnert yards. Not very exotic, but quite a task for a tri-focal specs wearer. :shock:
///olde 8) pharte///

· Registered
48 Posts
1) Get my son his first shotgun and through a course. Buying the gun is the easy part, being a part-time dad and him being 50 miles away getting him to a class on time when one is open durring busy season is not.

2) Getting either the trailer & wiring set up, or one of those cargo carriers that mount ontop of your truck/suv. Actually the wiring won't be that bad, it's a small trailer with the smaller tires but they with the axils are brand new. Getting this through the dmv might be an issue because it was found (abandoned) at a house and we got bored & reconditioned it.

3) Securing a decent place to go Turkey hunting and camping. By camping I mean camping, not at some friggin park where it looks like a refugee camp and there seems to be a contest for who's got the most loud and obnoxious barking dog or group of undiciplined kids.

4) Convincing Miss Missouri 2004 to be my unconditional squeeze. Hey a guy can dream. I'd treat her nice like cheesburger & Large fries even. :wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.