Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
24"-26"...

24" barrels are fine for most standard calibers, and the 26" length seems better for the magnums with the slower burning powders. Besides...I shoot better with longer barrels. :lol:

·
Registered
162 Posts
For woods range cartridges (200 yard or less shooting) such as the 30-30, 35 Rem a 20 inch barrel will work great and keep the rifle handy.
I believe that for standard high velocity chamberings in the 270 Wnchester, 30-06, .308, 7mm-08 range you will be fine with a 22 inch barrel. That gets almost all the speed out of those rounds that you'll acheive and keeps a rifle pretty trim.
For the short action magnum calibers (WSM family, SAUM family) and larger calibers in the 338-35 range a 24 inch barrel is good. 24 inches is also good for any necked down versions of the 30-06- i.e. the 25-06.
For large magnum calibers such as the 7mmSTW, 257 Weatherby Mag, 7mm Ultramag, 300 Weatherby Mag a 26 inch barrel is better.
I believe that with most high velocity calibers in the 30-06, 270 class you lose only about 75-100 fps per inch of barrel reduction.
There are super short barreled carbines with 18 inch barrels like the Ruger compact M77, and those are ok in a lighterweight caliber like 7mm-08, or 257 roberts, 243 Win., but I wouldn't want to shoot one frequently in anything bigger.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: re: What barrel length do you prefer?

luv2safari said:
va...as much as it galls me to say this, I agree with you 100% :x :x ( :wink: )
I like this forum- friendly place. :)
Too bad we all don't live nearby each other to be able to hang out in a camp and shoot all of this over a nice fire....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.