Shooting World Forums banner

what do u use for squirrels

11K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  rifleboy15 
#1 ·
like the title says, what for squirrels :?: :?: :twisted: :twisted:

#4 ·
None of my .22s have ever grouped Stingers worth a darn. The 77/22 and 10/22 both seem to like Mini Mags. The HPs shoot just as well as solids, so I use them. The hyper velocity stuff blows up too much meat and tends to not be as accurate as I like. Of course I try for head shots, but them little buggers won't hold still for me.

#5 ·
I don't hunt tree rats much any more but do shoot the small reds when they get too numerous around the cabin. When I did shoot the grey and fox squirrels I mostly used whatever shot best out of the gun I was using. That could be round nose or hollowpoint high velocity rounds or round nose standard velocity target rounds. The hyper velocity rounds were too destructive for my tastes though they group well in many of my guns.

#6 ·
I tried everything out of my 77/22 Varmint. From WalMart bulk el-cheapo stuff to match grade stuff, hollow points and solids. I tried Federal Gold Medal Match, Silver Medal Match, Eley Tenex, Remington/ Eley Target Rifle, Remington/Eley Match Extra Plus Fiocchi, CCI Green Tag, MiniMag HP, MiniMag solid, CCI Stingers, Reminton Yellowjackets, Winchester Supreme Target, Winchester Super-X, Federal Standard Velocity, CCI Standard Velocity. I got as good of groups with CCI MiniMags as the match grade ammo. HPs were just as good as solids. The match grade ammo had pretty low velocity, it grouped about 6" lower than the high velocity stuff. Somewhere I have a notebook with all the group sizes and results. The rifle was a Varmint model with a heavier tapered 24" barrel, Target Grey finish and laminate stock. I had a Leupold 3-9X Compact on it and the trigger tuned to 2.5 lbs. The 5 shot groups were about 1/2" at 50 yds. I really wish I didn't have to sell it. I was broke. Now I have a much better job and am in the market for another good bolt action .22. I like the looks of the Remington 504. The CZ gets good reports and the Kimbers are awesome. Anshutz makes some good ones too, but $$$.

#7 ·
I like something that will shoot through the #$$#@ TREE, and get those little buggers who are ALWAYS on the other side of the trunk or limb... :shock: :evil: Its a darned good thing that there are no tree-sqils here in my State...there wouldn't be any trees left alive. :x :x :wink:

#9 ·
Too old to do much in the bushes now, but I used to have fun walking through the woods with a partner about 40 yds away and walking parallel. We both got shots at greys that were running from the other guy. Naturally, it was 12 ga #6 3 3/4 dram for us. Lots of fun!
///olde :) pharte///

#12 ·
:lol: killerb, if you are looking for a fine squirrel rifle, check out some of the older Remington's or Winchesters. I have a 521T, a youth target rifle, they were relatively inexpensive when I got mine, but boy they shoot with the best of the newer stuff, and better than much of it. I also have used Rem. 513 match rifle, but it is very heavy. some of the fine older guns can be bought used, tried and traded if they dont perform the way you like. I use cci mimi-mag hpts. in mine the few times i hunted fox squirrels. also used my Hornet with 5 grains of Unique.. the old marlin 39a is also a great squirrel gun, but the Rem. bolts seemed to edge it in the accuracy dept. but i still keep a 39A in the safe.

#13 ·
I sometimes use a 20 gauge singel shot when the leaves are still on the trees and shots are close...

or I use a Winchester 9422 for close in still hunting...

or I use a Marlin Model 60 when the leaves are down and I'm stand hunting...

and sometimes I use a Marlin 883 in 22 WMR when I like to try for those loooong shots...

#19 ·
Re: re: what do u use for squirrels

luv2safari said:
I like something that will shoot through the #$$#@ TREE, and get those little buggers who are ALWAYS on the other side of the trunk.
just buy a howitzer. that would work. :lol: i sold my 597, jammed alot... :evil: now geting a win 190.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.