Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
va-

you shoot a lot of those tree doggies? I love to hunt them, grew up in Texas, but shot plenty of them in East Texas, big foxxies, and a few cat squill.

As for the caliber, I'm considering getting a 30 06. Get the right bullet, right grain weight, and most everything on the lower 48 is covered. I"ve got a 7 mmmag, it fits the bill on many things, too.

· Registered
1,427 Posts
The .50 BMG is not too much but is illegal unless the Hornady A-Max bullet is used as the others are either FMJ, tracers, incindiary, or explosive tipped, all of which are illegal in MN. Even the A-Max may be illegal if it is not designed for expansion.

· Registered
306 Posts
My 260rem will be plenty for 90% of my hunting, it has taken Goats, Pigs, Deer and even a few Scrub Bulls.
If I was to only use one gun then it would be my 375H&H, with mild recoil and plenty of power it has everything that I need.

· Registered
266 Posts
Ive shot a few hogs(all around 170lbs) and I can tell you Their hides are thick and small cals even at high velocites do not make big holes like w/ deer . I prefer big bore bullets or even better,12 ga slugs . 180 grain .30 cal & up should be the minimum.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rack I had the oppertunity to hunt extremely large european hogs that took over portions of northern Louisianna,brought by Jim Bowie himself from europe,they broke free and were the toughest animals I have ever hunted.My 243 flattened in the gristle plate at 50 feet,I took to the trees and a friend with a 30/30 shot the big sow at 25 to 30 feet 4 times from the side,she ran off and we found her the next day,only 1 bullet made it to her lung,it took her alnight to die,we finished her off the next morning.The next hunt I carried a 30/06,we would shoot the shoults as they were tender but the boars and sows were the meanest and toughest animals I had ever hunted.Ferral pigs wern't as bad and a 30/30 did just fine on them but just to be sure I always took a 30/06 from then on,so I know what you mean about pig hunting.Like L2S says "too much is just right"Thats my modo now.Drop-Shot

· Registered
266 Posts
I believe the 243 performance,but im surprised the 3030 did so poorly . Ive always been a big proponent of that cartrige. Were they 170 grainers? While were on the cool subject of hog hunting ,do you really think theres such a big difference in what folks call "wild boars" & "feral pigs"? I once (& for the last time)went on a high fenced "Russian" boar hunt in way upstate N.Y. These fuzzy farm animals fell pretty easily to my bow but only cause it just stood there and let me shoot it 4 x,the whole expierience made me sick & ill never hunt (canned) or hogs w/ a bow again.Since then ive been to Texas 2 x and ive taken 3 "feral" hogs ,the same ones that were left behind by settlers in th 1800s. The only difference I can see is that the "Russians" are bigger and the "ferals" are tougher and act as spooky as north east whitetails .They also seemed to have thicker smoother coats than Russians .Other than that I think a pig is a pig.

· Registered
306 Posts
I put it down to proper bullet selection 80% of the time, I know of a lot of people both on forums and that I hunt with that have trouble all because they choose the wrong bullet for the game that they hunt.

For instance on a recent pig hunting trip where the average weight of a pig from experience would be between 40kg-100kg with most around 65-70kg mark.
I took my 260rem with 120gr Nosler BT and 120gr Rem corelok HP (I make em), my mate having had a few pass throughs with 180gr Remington factory ammo on the last trip decided that he need to try new pills.
I recommended that he load a 150gr SP for more speed and faster opening to really knock them little pigs down. He decided to load 200gr Barns X pills instead all because they had a mushroomed one on display in the shop and he was really impressed with it. I tried to tell him that the 06 just didn't have the speed to open them on game that small but he new better.

The end result was that my mate couldn't understand why his supper strong pills at a very moderate velocity were passing strait through pigs like a FMJ and without slowing them down, he was having to chase them for hundreds of meters and put 3 or more rounds into them.
Mine were getting fist sized holes through them and at most only going a few meters, he couldn't believe it as on paper his rifle had heaps more power then mine and he had the biggest and best pills. What he failed to understand was that I was getting better results (and 3 times the kills) not because I had a more powerful gun but that my bullets were chosen to give the best performance on the game that I was hunting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.