What is every one using for a rifle rest?

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by hunter, Oct 7, 2005.

1. hunter

hunter Guest

I've been using a Lahman sight vise, it hasnt been working too well because every time a shoot it jumps and I have to reset it. Today i took off the front vise and through a sand bag that i use to weight down my pickup on the front of it. It worked alittle bit better but i am still having problems getting good shot placement.

Im thinking about getting eaither the Shooters ridge Deluxe rifle rest or the Hughes range rest from cabelas. What does every one think?

2. wired

wired Guest

In the very rare times I bother to use a rest of any sort, it is typically just a sandbag or a tree branch or something. Are you sighting in a rifle or popping prairie dogs at 400 yards?

3. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

My treestand. It has a built in rifle rest.

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I used to use the Lohman but had the same problem,I bought a Hoppe's rifle vise,its iron with adjustable 3 legs and a spot for my sand bag front rest and a rear sandbag,its working for me and I didn't have to shell out 90.00.just 53.00 on sale,59.00 not on sale.Its as nice as the Caldwell but not green,its orange.I still use the Lohman for light kicking rifles like 243.Drop-Shot

5. moontroll

moontroll Guest

I'm using a piece of styrafoam from a boat dock, it doubels as a bow target,Improvised soultion for my needs.Add a feather pillow and it works fine.

6. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Empty canvas shot bags filled with clean kitty litter.

7. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

Caldwell ,I think(I'm at work), bags. Like 'em!
    olde pharte

8. Mike 257

Mike 257 Guest

Caldwell " The Rock"

9. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I have the wife cut the legs off old pants and fill them 4/5 full of pinto beans, then sew them shut. They are cheap and work well.

The heavy hitting rifles I shoot a bit tear up any of the commercial "gun vise" type devices. Piles of bags work much better for me in the long run. I also use bags of birdshot.

10. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

Just use a bag of sand.

11. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

I use my Lohman for smithing and cleaning but rarely for shooting for the same reason given above. Sand bags are great at the range but my Caldwell rest seems to work pretty well and is a heck of a lot easier to tote.

You said you were having trouble getting groups, could you provide some more info? It may be that there is something else affecting your grouping.

12. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

my knee, a 2x4 in the stand, a shirt laid down bunched up...depends on where i'm at, but mostly all the above.

13. hunter

hunter Guest

Well I'm getting better groups now but I still feel that my rifle and the amo i am using could get better groups if i had a better rest.

I bought a caldwell tack driver bag this week and as soon as it stops raining im going to try that out.

14. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hunter I just got my new rear bag filled with sand,my front is already filled with sand,with the front sand bag on the hoppe rest I rest the rifles forarm, on the sand bad on the rest and the rear of the rifle resting on the rear sandbad I don't have to move much to get the rifle dead on,once you get it close you can get behind the rifle and adjust the rest to dead on,the rifle in on the site without you holding yet,with the rifle dead one target slowly put your shoulder in back of the rifle without of alot of pressure and hold in rear firm but not too firm to take the sights off the target,the the front rest and the rear bag bag will hold your sights on target,then you have to provide your shoulder for support and fire,Thats the only way for the rifle to shoot its best groups without your influence.Some folks can sight in a rifle with 1 point of hold,I can't.this system will work for any rifle and
    and allow it to shoot its best group.Thats just this oldmans way way of making sure the rifle will shoot tight groups with out any influence from me..It works for me,others have their own that works for them.Try some of these suggestions and mabe you will find out something that works for you too.Just another opinion and opinions are like elbows we all have more than one and may lean on them too much at times.Drop-Shot

15. danurve

danurve Guest

I bought a cheap rest that just gets used for cleaning purposes now, because it kinda either gets in the way of the 700 bolt, or the clip on the Marlin. So I took a chunk of hard foam from a pallet spacer and cut a notch, works friggin great. Bought a Versa-Pod later on, the chunk of foam glued to a peice of 4x4 works better.

16. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

The best shooting stand I've found is the guide's shoulder, especially if the rifle has a muzzlebreak. The look on their faces when asked to do this is well worth the price of the hunt. It is even better watching someone else suggest this as his getting his butt whipped is much better entertainment than the guide drop kicking you into next Tuesday. :)
    Seriously, I use whatever is handy in hunting situations and shot bags filled with whatever (sand, sawdust, corn, beans,etc) at the bench.