what is hand lapping

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 583, Nov 15, 2005.

1. 583

583 Guest

what is hand lapping?

2. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

A polishing procedure for your barrel,some say it gives better velocitys and accuracy but I do it for ease of cleaning.I can shoot more and clean less with a hand lapped barrel,the copper and carbon fouling has a hard time adhereing to a polished finish.Drop-Shot

3. 583

583 Guest

ok thats sounds good how much would it cost to have the job done?

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I don't know as I have always done mine myself,it takes awhile so I'm sure a gunsmith charges at least 100.00,you can fire lapp a barrel as well,it consists of fireing course bullets and then medium and then fine,the only problem with fire lapping is most of the abrasives rub off before lapping the entire barrel,mostly the throat gets fire lapped,thats why I lapp my barrel,it takes several hours of stroking the barrel with abrasives to get the expected results.If after a session of abrasives a cotton ball leaves behind small strands of cotton you have to do it again,some take a few hours and some take a whole morning or afternoon.Drop-Shot

5. 583

583 Guest

ok thanks guys

6. Maser

Maser Super Member

sounds like alotta work but im sure in the end when u look down ur nice polished barrel and it looks like a hallway of mirrors ur glad u took the time cuz as ugly as some guns out there can be theres nothing more beautiful than a clean shiney gun both inside and out :wink:

7. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Thats right Maser and to clean the rifle all I have to use is a nylon bristle brush with Butch's Bore Shine and the copper comes out so much easier than a barrel I haven't hand lapped.Drop-Shot

8. Maser

Maser Super Member

does it also increse bullet velocity?

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

It supposed to increase velocity but due to my chronograp being broken I couldn't say for sure,but all quality custom rifles are hand lapped from the factory and every Lilja barrel installed by Lilja is hand lapped before it leaves the factory.Drop-Shot