What kind of cold weather clothing do you use?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Drop-Shot, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I got caught in some super cold weather and had the wrong kind of insulated underware and almost got hypothermia,mountainview and I talked about we use,so what do you guys use?Drop-Shot

2. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Well, what is super cold?

I got this rain gear a couple weeks back that is insulated and works well in cold weather. It has been in the 30's on the mountian and I don't even wear long under wear with it and the jacket (with my pack on) is so warm during the hike that I have to leave the vents open and the front pulled open. It is fairly light weight and real quiet. It is called Rivers West and I got is from www.sagecreekoutfitters.com I would not recommend this gear for any temps over 40 degrees! I have every confidence it will do me well with some long underwear in temps down to zero and below.

3. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

eh... I had a bunch of microweave synthetic thermal longjohns, socks, and glove liners when I was up in Tahoe living at 10,000ft with -40deg weather and that's without wind chill. On top of that I had Thermal turtle neck, Thermal pants, Jeans, Longsleeve shirt, a waterproofed leather trenchcoat with fuzzy fur liner, snow cap/skimask/thick wool neck scarf thingy depending on how cold it was so I can cover my mouth and nose to keep my lungs from freezing.

I don't know if I would want to go hunting in the winter. From what I experienced in Tahoe I didn't even want to go out and get firewood.

4. wwb

wwb Super Member

Two words......
    (1) Layers
    (2) Wool (actually, the first layer is a wool/polyester blend)

Wool is quiet, it wicks perspiration, and it will still keep you warm even if it's wet. Sheep may look stupid, but you never see one shivering.

5. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Well, being in Georgia :D , It does get cold, Layeringis a must.I usually start with the usual thermals and end with my insulated coveralls plus neck gaiter and thermal cap.

6. danurve

danurve Guest

Re: re: What kind of cold weather clothing do you use?

I got a kick out of that one :lol:
    I can't wear wool right on my skin. Not alergic to it but for some reason it drives me nutz. The exception being socks.

7. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

I got a buddy of mine that is like that. Even with Moreno wool it makes him itch. Oh well! :D

8. wwb

wwb Super Member

Re: re: What kind of cold weather clothing do you use?

Get a set of polypropylene long johns (bottoms and long-sleeved tops), and wear the wool over that. For pants, I wear Woolrich brand Malones (really heavy, thick, tightly woven wool) and my shirt and jacket are both Codet brand (from Canada).

The pants are pretty heavy, so I wear suspenders with them.... something I swore I'd never do when I was younger. It seems, though, that my shape has changed somewhat with the passing of the years. Now I know why all those "old guys" wore suspenders way back when.

Edit:

Link to the pants: http://www.woolrich.com enter "malone" in the search window

Levergun..... the truth now - No Suspenders, thinkin' about suspenders, or wearin' suspenders?

9. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

LMAO! WWB! :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. wired

wired Guest

Wool rocks for really cold weather. That, and waterproof, insulated boots.

11. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Has anyone tried Underarmour?

12. bgoldhunter

bgoldhunter Well-Known Member

I just got an UnderArmor shirt and it is very nice. It takes getting used to-it fits very tight. I wear layers as well..UnderArmor shirt, poly over that, shirt or sweatshirt (depending on weather), then my jacket/coat. Bottoms I wear poly, pants, then Carhart bibs or waders depending on what I'm hunting.

13. zombie

zombie Guest

Underarmor rocks!

14. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

hey 8 point, where in ga. are you??? i'm in gainesville. have you had any luck this year? i took 2 a couple of weeks ago, using a h&r single shot .45-70. shot 1, whistled (2nd deer stopped running) shot it. 2 deer within 50 yrds. man was i lucky.

hey drop-shot, hope you didn't freeze off any important parts out there...... i'll be headed back into the woods later next week. my dad is coming in from pa. might just hunt squirrles & rabbits. he gave/lent me a old mossberg bolt action 20 guage. i love it. it's really light and kicks pretty good, but man does it have some reach. off onto something else, have you ever heard of a sabot round for a .357 mag???? i think of weird things sometimes.

15. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

hey 8 point. DUH!!!! you're in griffin. i guess i should have seen that. do you sell on ebay??? there is someone from griffin who is always selling bullets/reloading type stuff.

16. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Layers of polar fleece and wool clothing with a Gortex windbreaker, if necessary. We may change elevation as much as 3,000-3,500 feet in a day's hunting and need to layer. A great deal of climbing makes it necessary.

17. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

Re: One thing

????

18. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

he's talking about those neat johnson warmers, it's a little sock with those chemical heating pad that pretty much cups your beans and franks and keeps em from freezing off in really cold weather.

19. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

In the Colorado high country the secret is to layer. You can always take a layer off and put it in your pack. The best boots, bar none, are the Mickey Mouse Military Moon Boots - they come in white and black. Until I began using these over 20 years ago, my feet were always cold. Now they are never cold. To find them, go to Google and just put in Mickey Mouse Boots, you will get many hits. Be careful that you are sure your purchasing the original military mickeys and not a foreign copy. Semper Fi