What should I do? (Help!!!!!)

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by pigeonhunter, Mar 18, 2005.

1. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

I want to get a good lefty hunting rifle, but I'd also get a varmint rifle. Anywho, here's my perdica-mina-mina-ment:

I have a great rifle to hunt with, a Rem 700 ADL in 30-06 that will put 5 shot on a quarter at 100 yds, but it's right handed. (No, I won't sell it)

BUT!

There are alot of great varmint hunting opportunities here in CA and I'd really like to get a varmint gun.

So here's where I am:

If I get a good lefty hunting rifle, I'll have a good lefty hunting rifle. But, it may not be accurate enough for the varminting I want do. For hunting rifles I'm looking at the following:

Weatherby AccuMark, .257 WBY

Weatherby AccuMark, 300 WBY

Savage Weather Warrior, (Stainless) .308

Savage Weather Warrior, (Stainless) .30-06

Remington 700 LSS, .300 RUM (I'm worried about accuracy with this one)

(Recoil isn't a factor and would like rifle to be able shoot 1 MOA)

And for varmint rifles, the only one I'm looking at is the Remington 700 VSF in .308.
    But if I get the varmint I'll also have to buy another scope. (Either a Loopy, Nikon or Burris)

But I can hunt with the varmint rifle even though it'll be tough. (Lot's of walking in thick, rolling hills)

And my total budget is about $1400.

Thanks. ('Cause I am lost!!)

Oh yeah, I'll be hunting lots 'o' varmints at long ranges, wild pigs, deer, bears, swingers out to 700 yards and if I get drawn, elk.

Any input would really help me out.

2. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

P-Hunter,

Trying to decide which rifle to get is always tough since we are blessed with a lot of good choices but, still is a fun endeavor. If your heart is set on the Weatherby, by all means, go for it. If you are open to a non-Weatherby I would proffer the following: For your budget, why not look at getting 2 rifles for the following reasons:
    1) 2 new guns is way more fun than 1 (and this much fun may not be legal in all 50 states) but even 1 new gun is lots of fun :D
    2) The Savages are reliable tack drivers and go for 400 +/- new which would probably allow you to put scopes on both and still meet your budget while having a heavy barrel varmint rifle AND a new hunting rifle (you can never have enough rifles for hunting now can you?) which is still plenty accurate but a whole lot easier to lug around.

I have a battery of Savages and they are all excellent shooters. My heavy barrel 223 handles the varmint and accuracy shooting department but since it is way more weight than I want to hump over hill and dale, my 30-06 and 7-08 , also just as accurate but lighter weight, run the woods with me.

Safe shooting.

3. luvtohunt.com

luvtohunt.com Guest

You have some good choices in firearms out there and mountain view has made some good points. If you are going to be a large amount of varmint hunting, I would suggest getting the rifle especially for it. It sounds like you can shoot the 30-06 quite nicely and it will fill in for those less than common hunts (like getting drawn for elk) until you can afford to get one in the left hand configuration.

With $1400 for the budget, you could set up a really nice rifle with a really nicely powered varminter scope.

My 2 Cents.....

Kelsey
    http://www.luvtohunt.com

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Kelsey,Whats your take on Mueller scopes for that rifle I'm getting from you?Are they as good as Leupold?Drop-Shot

5. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) I'd ditto the idea of setting up a nice varmint rifle and using as much of that budget money as it takes. You are, as pointed out, already equipped with an adequate (or better) hunting rifle for the present. JMHO/////////////////////
    And M-View, I gotta ask, why BOTH an 06 and a 7-08? Was one a really great deal and you couldn't pass it, or what? Just being curious.
    ///olde 8) pharte///

6. luvtohunt.com

luvtohunt.com Guest

D-shot:

We had a guy put on a mueller scope on the forum, but definately did not think it matched up to the leupold or nikons. For the gun your looking at, I wouldn't stray too far from Leupold or Nikons.

Again, just my $0.02 worth.

Kelsey

7. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Plover,

Why did I get a 30-06 and 7-08? Truth be known, either one would have sufficed for the hunting I do but well I had an extra space in the gun cabinet that I could not bear looking at and the price on the 30-06 was not too bad and so ...... Explaining to the Mrs why I let a homeless 30-06 follow me home was a tad trickier but was worth it since that rifle has proven to be a shooter for me. :)

Safe shooting.

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Thanks Kelsey I'm staying with Leupolds,I had never heard of Meuller,much less held one so I was asking just in case there was something out there I was missing out on.I'm sticking with leupold.Drop-Shot

9. shootingworld

shootingworld Owner/Admin Staff Member

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Thanks Jay.1gsplover do you put the 7mm08 and 30/06 on an equal plane?Just curious,I thought the 7mm08 was a necked down 308 case and the 308 is a nice round(I have owned a couple)but not equal to a 30/06 and not as versitile.Most given velocitys for a 30/06 are from 22 inch barrells and is only 150-200 fps better than the 308.The difference is about the velocity difference from a 30/06 and a 300 win mag,plus you can use heavier bullets than a 308.Extend tht barrell to 24 inches and the 30/06 out distances the 308 even more.I haven't looked at a book lately so my figures might be off slightly,So am I missing a great(non-butt kicking)cartridge?Figures in a book don't always tell the whole story and I need an excuse to look at another caliber I can actually shoot and not just own.Drop-Shot

11. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

If I was looking for a varmint rifle that I could also hunt with AND if I already had a 30-06, I'd get a Ruger MK77, a Remington Model 700, or a model 70 Winchester in .257 Roberts or .243.

I'd probably slide to the .257, it's a little better deer rifle and still a fine varmint gun. But a .243 would be fine too.

A 22-250 is a fine varmint rifle, but it cannot be used as a hunting rifle for deer sized game.

The 6mm and .25 caliber rifles that I've mentioned don't kick much, and they perform just fine. I'd stay away from the modern big bangers. You can still get 3,000 fps from the Roberts and the .243.

12. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

As for a scope? I'd stick with a Leopold four power. If you want to shoot at varmints at 300 yds, I'd go for a scope with higher power.

But, in general a 4 power scope is just fine for a hunting rifle.

13. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Good evening logjam,I have a 243 and have taken alot of game with it,coyotes,ferral hogs,antelope, and white tail deer.I'm not sure it work well for muleys,the largest one I killed went close to the weight of 2 white tails.I personally think it's a super cartridge for whitetails and down,I am concerned about proper penetration on larger game.I have taken alot of varmits with the hornady 70 gr at all kinds of distances and would not hesitate to recommend the 243.Drop-Shot

14. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

P-hunter,

Pass on a Weatherby if you want tack driving accuracy...they just don't shoot that tight.

The Remington or Savage will out shoot them, right out of the box.

15. mak48

mak48 Guest

I like savage. well actually my favourite is ruger, but they are suited for something else, they're not on your list anyway. but savage is good and not expensive. its rugged to. A friend of mine uses his as a walking stick, its been submerged,stepped on by horses, and beaten, and after all that I saw him drop a running elk at 200 yards. I couldnt believe my eyes. no sooner than he jumped off of the horse did he take the shot from a standing position and dropped it. Although I lack experience with varmint rifles, I do as much long range target as possible. IMO, Savage or Ruger.