when, oh when?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by wired, Nov 16, 2005.

1. wired

wired Guest

Are there any rumors floating around on if anybody is gonna make a rifle for the .500 S&W magnum? Since the other revolver magnum cartridges seem to be pretty popular rifle cartridges for brush rifles, I'd think that the .500mag would be in a rifle by now. I could at least see NEF or T/C put out a barrel for it, and probably a Marlin lever. Anybody heard anything yet?

-edit- okay, saw that ONE manufacturer has put them out now (must have skimmed over that one in the levergun forum), but I am curious when the major manufacturers might put out one in the $400 and up range instead of the relatively obscure manufacturer's $1400 and up range.

2. 44mag

44mag Guest

NEF/H&R is making a singleshot in .500 .... but H&R is one of the worst singleshots on the market in my opinion

3. Maser

Maser Super Member

yea u have no idea how much i would love to have a lever action rifle or carbine in .500 magnum :twisted: i mean jeeez that bullet is deadly enough at pistol velocities just imagine how deadly it would be at rifle velocities

4. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

Re: re: when, oh when?

Why?

5. Maser

Maser Super Member

i wouldnt really say its the worse but i would say it sure is one of the cheapest :wink: then again who wants to spend a buncha money on just a single shot break action gun?

6. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

When the 2006 Shooters Bible comes out just check Marlins or Winchesters. They should have been created by then.

7. wired

wired Guest

Yeah, I guess we'll just hafta wait for now.

I wouldn't jump to say H&R/NEF rifles are the worst single shot on the market. The only things you can really compare them to right now are the Stoeger and Rossi single shot rifles. From what I've seen, there isn't much difference between them, other than possibly the ejector.

8. 44mag

44mag Guest

maser, for one i'd rather have a single shot than a lever gun, for one I don't like the feel or looks of most leverguns, I backpack alot so a gun that can be easily taken down and stuffed in a rucksack is the best gun for me. And also, as far as the .500 goes, sounds like a great cartridge yes? just look at prices for ammo on corbon or buffalo bores page. Many think that bigger is better, the more shots the better, oh an old singleshot ain't no good, but lemme tell you, it's all in the application my friend, all in the application, and preference of course, I use my guns, I don't just go the the range, show them off I shoot them alot. I choose a singleshot for simplicity. Don't get me wrong I love my 10/22 and pump shotguns, but for a centerfire rifle or rimfire rifle for that matter a singleshot is by far my favorite.

TXVA shooter, you ask why? well I had two NEF handis my first two and my last two my .44 mag would not group inside 3" at 25 yards off a bench rest and scoped. I figured I got a bad one so I ordered another only this time it was a 45-70, first it had a large gouge by one of the scope mounting holes, then I found after opening the action to check the riflings that you had to slam it hard to get it to lock up and it still wasn't the greatest. needless to say I refused to buy it.

rant-over
    44Mag

9. Maser

Maser Super Member

go to cabelas.com cuz they got good prices on .550 magnum which is the same price as the .454 casul for some odd reason but of course u gotta buy in bulk if u wanna save money

10. 44mag

44mag Guest

your very right about buying in bulk, you have to do that with most anything to get it at a reasonable price, or catch it on sale, like I did my .308 ammo $11 for 20 rnds of remington corelockt.

P.s how old R U?

11. Maser

Maser Super Member

lol btw in my above post i meant .500 magnum and not .550 lol but that sure would be a cool cartidge :twisted:

hey 44mag im 16 so how old r u?

12. 44mag

44mag Guest

thats cool, ya still got plenty of shooting ahead of ya. :)

13. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I have Toppers in 30-30 and 22 Hornet, and both cut the same ragged hole. They are nothing to hang over the fireplace, though...

I think the 500 in one would be interesting, if nothing else. :)

14. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

I do not understand the purpose of it all. Why would you want to shoot a pistol cartridge in a rifle? If you were back in the late 1800's ok, but today? Why?

There are so many better rifles and calibers out. You want a 50 cal. bullet? Buy a 50 Cal. inline rifle. Done. :wink:

15. Maser

Maser Super Member

its simple pistol cartirdges out of a rifle barrel are powerful and also pistol cartridges are easier to carry than rifle cartridges

lol im surprised u didnt say that if u was a .50 caliber why not buy a .50 bmg :shock:

16. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Easier to carry,kid , how many rounds do you need to carry hunting with a cartridge of this type. I'm with Lever on this one.There are too many rifle cartridges that will do a much better job IN A RIFLE than a pistol cartridge

17. Maser

Maser Super Member

i would carry as much as i could cuz i love the feeling of putting my hand in my pocket and feeling nothing but a handful of cartridges :D

ok all kidding aside i really dont care what im using to kill a deer but im more of a rifle cartidge guy but hey we all got different preferences in our hunting types cuz some like the modern day rifle cartidges and some like the old school pistol cartridges shot from a rifle or carbine

18. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

id rather have one than a 45-70. similar balistics, slightly larger bullet, and you can fit 5 500s where 4 45-70s fit

19. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Diringo,
    I make leather cartridge belts and all kind of leather stuff. I have reloaded that cartridge and there is no way on a belt that you could do what you have stated! I could fit 6 45/70's in place of the 5 500's. And on top of that, let's think about this, A rifle in 500 S&W Vs. a Rifle in 45/70? I'll take the already existing guide gun any day! :wink:

20. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

i meant in a lever gun