Which One?

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by txhunter91, Jul 29, 2005.

1. txhunter91

txhunter91 Guest

Well, there was an opening on my friends deer lease and our family took them up on it and i now need a good all-round rifle. I'm thinking 30-06 but I'm not sure. The hunting will be done in huntsville where its pretty thick so i probably wont be taking any real far shots, although i'd like to have the option to if i ever get invited to somewhere like uvalde. The models i was looking at were the Remington 700 SPS, and the Savage 111G. I would like something that will hold up real well and is good and versatile. For Scopes, I'm thinking the Bushnell elite 3200 in 3.9 x 40 mm. I'll be hunting whitetail and hog and possibly bigger game such as mule deer, elk, and moose. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

30-06 in Remmy sps and that Bushnell would do fine

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I agree with 8point,the 30/06 can be used from coyote to moose,and the bushnell 3200 elite I looked at last weekend was super clear at all power settings,I was impressed to say the least.Between the remington and savage,you need to handle both,I like the remington best but it seems to fit me better than the savage did,I bought the remington CDL.Both rifles will do the deed very well,folks that the savage fit better have nothing but good things to say about them and with the new accutrigger its a good buy.Good luck.Drop-Shot

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Go with the one that feels "best" and you like the most. I'm really partial to my battery of Savages and the Accutrigger but my Remingtons have never caused me any regrets.

5. txhunter91

txhunter91 Guest

Well yall, we went to gander mtn and i saw a remington ADL in 30-06 for $380 and to me the differences between the ADL and SPS weren't worth the money. I saw a nikon 3-9x40mm for $150 that i think im gonna go with. would these buys be a good or bad decision (the gun fits good).

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

txhunter91 it sounds like magic to me,the adl is a fine rifle and the nikon is a sound investment,I think you have made a good decision,and the 30/06 will be great for anything you will encounter.Thats this old mans opinion.Drop-Shot

7. txhunter91

txhunter91 Guest

Well I'm gonna go pick it all up tomorrow, Thank yall so much for all the help.

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

txhunter91 please keep us updated about the set up,How accurate and how well it shoots.Drop-Shot

9. txhunter91

txhunter91 Guest

Alright yall, I went to pick it all up today but when i got there... i couldnt decide if the power of the 30-06 was worth the recoil and started leaning a little more towards the .270.

The reason being I'm just not if the ott 6 would be overkill with extra recoil, however if i ever get a chance to go big game hunting, I would definitely need the knockdown of a 30-06.

Now, as far as the .270 goes I believe it would be sufficient for what i would be doing and a little more fun to target shoot with, but if i ever go after the big game i wouldn't want to bet the animals suffering on my ability for near-perfect shot placement.

However, I was wondering if the standard 30-06 deer load and the standard .270 deer load had major recoil differences because I'm basing a large part of my decision on recoil due to the fact I'm just a kid, (13) although I'm pretty big (5'11" 180) and can handle a 12 gauge shotguns recoil, I don't know anything about rifles and theyre recoil and dont want to have recoil/flinching issues. Sorry for being so picky and indecisive. Any and all advice is appreciated

10. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

You really can't go wrong with either caliber, the 270 is fine for animals up to elk size with the proper bullets though I would much rather use something a bit bigger for moose. Both cartridges use essentially the same case so the recoil from the 270 is a bit less as it uses a 130 or 150 grain bullet and the 30/06 generally uses a 150-180 grain one. I would chose the 30/06 myself as the ammo can often be found on clearance sale cheaper up here than 270 and one can find surplus ammo for very cheap for practice.
    As for your set up, I like and own both Remington 700s and Savage 110 series rifles. My family prefers the Remingtons but that is more snobbish pride and long familiarity than anything else. The Nikon (I believe it is the Buckmaster?) seems a very good scope for the price. I haven't used one but that is the story I get from some who do use them and are more willing to try other brands than me. Any of the equipment you mentioned and in any combination would make a more than adequate set up.

11. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Go with the 06. The recoil shouldn't be that much more than with the 270. If the recoil is bad,you can get the Rem Recoilpad for around $30. I think they call it the R3(?). With your size, you should be ok. I'm 5'7" and do just fine with either caliber.

There are 4 of the Nikon 3x9x40s at my house. 1 on a 243WSSM, 2 on 243 win and 1 on a 300 WinMag. They're all very clear and stand up to recoil.

Good luck and let us know what ya do.

HWD

12. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

A 30-06 is still the best all around caliber out there. I feel the Savage is a somewhat more accurate rifle. However, I own a Rem 700 in 35 Whalen and 721s in 30-06 and in 300 H&H Mag, so I have nothing against the Rem 700 type rifles.

I would not buy the Bushnell 3200. It has a bit of a reputation for failure. I feel the Burris Fulfield II is a far better scope and can be bought for a very reasonable price...my 2 bits...

L2S

13. txhunter91

txhunter91 Guest

Well now I've made a solid decision on the gun, a synthetic Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 with 22 inch barrels, but as far as the scope goes I'm still unsure. I now plan on steering clear of the Bushnell and am leaning more towards a Nikon/Leopuld. I can get a Nikon Buckmaster for $200 a Nikon Monarch for $150 and a Leopuld VX-1 for $200. All of the scopes are 3-9x40mm. I am leaning towards the Nikon Buckmaster as it is right around my price range and I would rather buy a good solid scope from a good solid company than buy a budget model scope from an excellent company. If yall know the advantages/disadvantages that these scopes have over one another please tell me so i can make a better decision. Thanks.

14. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

The Leupold VXI, Nikon Monarch, or Burris Fulfield II would all work well for your rifle. I think you made a good choice in a sensible, accurate and durable hunting rifle! :D :D

L2S

15. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

The Leopold VX series are a great scope for the money and not a "budget" class scope if that is what you mean. It would be a toss up to me between the Leupold and Burris Fullfield II with maybe a slight nod to the Burris (I guess I'm a bit of a snob, I would rather have a company's mid-price scope than another's budget priced one even of the two are quite comparable). The Nikons aren't bad from what I hear but I have had such good experiences with the Burris and Leopold that I see little reason to try anything else in their price range.

16. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

ugly...

My thoughts, exactly... I used a new Burris FF II 3X9X40 Ballistic plex to make a 330 yard neck shot on my antelope last August. It was so nice and clear, and that B-plex was just the ticket for the longe range shooting. It performs well in low light conditions and in flat light conditions, as well. That is something often overlooked, in my opinion.

If the newer Burris scopes are as tough as the earlier ones, they are darned tough! I fell while desert bighorn sheep hunting years ago and put a significant dent in the tube of the Burris first series Fulfield 3X9 scope on my old Mdl 70 in 30-06. The Burris scope and Redfield Jr. mounts held zero, and I took a nice 164 pt. desert bighorn the next day.

I was able to find the Burris FF II on the internet for $164.00, including postage. TX, you might consider looking around a bit, but your choices are just fine IMHO... :p

L2S

17. txhunter91

txhunter91 Guest

I think I'm going to go with the Burris and try to find the deal luv2safari found. I want to thank all of yall so much for the the help yall have given me in making my selection. After I get it and have it sighted in and becom familiarized with it, I plan on writing a good solid review on both the scope and the gun similar to the review of the Benelli M2 on shotgunworld. Thanks again.