which scope to use??

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 870 ExpressMag, Jun 29, 2005.

1. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

i have an h and r ultra with the heavy .223 barrel on it with a 1 in 12" twist......i mounted a 4-12x40 AO scope on it.....i just recently sent it back to h and r for a .308 heavy barrel to be mounted to it...now i need to find another scope...i have thought about getting a more powerful scope and put on the 223 and move the 4-12 over to the 308...but i am not sure which suits which calibre best..HELP!

the 223 i will be using for varmints and target\
    the 308 for deer in northewrn michigan but maybe possibly if for elk with my uncle in idaho...any suggestions would help....i can keep the scope on the 223 or move it to the 308....but it has to go on one or the other since i just bought it...and my price range for the new one is under 250.00

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

For deer in the U.P. as well as elk out west, a 2-7X will serve quite well. They typically come with 32mm or 35mm objectives depending on the brand and model, and mount on standard height rings.

Edited.... I just checked Cabela's, and they have a Leupold 2-7x33 "shotgun" scope (which would work just fine on a rifle) for $200 ($199.95, actually)

3. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

so the fact that it's a shotgun scope doesn't matter? and the 2-7 should be mounted on the 308?

because i just found a leupold on the cabelas website..it's a leupold VX-1 2-7x33 for the same price....is there an advantage of this one or the shotgun one? i guess my thinking would be this is the same thing just designed for a rifle....will it withstand 308 recoil?

4. wwb

wwb Super Member

A "shotgun" scope is set up with a little more eye relief because of the recoil of a shotgun firing slugs. All that means is that it will have to be mounted about 1/8" to 1/4" farther forward in the rings than a standard "rifle" scope in order to have your eye positioned properly.

When mounting the scope, wear the same heavy clothing you would be wearing during deer season. Wearing long johns, a heavy wool shirt, and your blaze jacket, the whole rifle will be pushed farther away from you than when you're wearing just a t-shirt.

Yes, the 2-7 would be for the .308.... you don't want to go deer hunting with an adjustable objective scope; that's for long-range varmints and paper-punching where you have the time to fiddle with the scope before you take the shot.

5. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

so pretty much i could go with either one then..just the shotgun scope is going to have more eye relief

6. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

my next question is..i was going to buy leupold rings...but i don;t think i can get leupold rings that will mount on the existing mount that comes on the h and r can i?

i am not sure the name of the mount on the h and r but it's the one thats like dovetailed and has a rod acrossed that sits in a groove

7. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

i have yet another question......when looking at the difference between the vx-1 and the vx-2 in 2-7x33 i see that the vx-1 has resistance MOA adjustments when the vx-2 has "clicks" MOA adjustment....pros? cons? if the clicks is that much of a better thing i will jump a hundred dollars to the vx-2

8. wwb

wwb Super Member

The base on the H&R requires what are called "Weaver-style" rings. The mounting system was originally designed by Weaver, and was pretty much the only show in town for many years. It's the same system used by the military... the "Picatinny Rail" is just a dovetail rail with a whole slew of crossbolt cuts. There are many different brands of "Weaver-style" rings.

I prefer the original Weaver brand rings for a low mount, and the Weaver "Grand Slam" rings for a high mount. The Weaver rings on my old Marlin .30-30 have been in place for almost 30 years. Every fall, I poke a couple holes in a target at 100 yards to make sure the zero is still there. I haven't had to touch it since it was originally mounted and zeroed.

I have the Grand Slam extra high rings on my varmint gun with a 50mm objective scope... I don't know how well they hold up yet - they're only 5 years old.

The resistance adjustments work just fine... you have to look at the dial when making any adjustments, and count the marks as you turn the knob. With the "click" adjustment, you can feel and, if it's quiet, even hear the clicks as you turn the knob.

9. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

so some weaver low mount rings...and i will stick with the vx-1 2-7x33.....one last question...i like the looks of the new wide duplex...any advantages or disadvantages of the wide duplex over the standard duplex? wider one for big game?

anyways thanks for all your advice wwb it's really appreciated!

10. wired

wired Guest

That's a personal thing. I like the standard duplex, because it's not as thick and doesn't feel like it obscures anything. Some people like the wide because they can see them better. Look through both at a few animal-shaped targets (in varying light conditions, if you can) and you'll be able to decide pretty quick.

11. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

I live in michigan and hunt the mecosta county area ( NW LP) and berrien county area (SW LP) in michigan most of your shots will be under 100 yds so one of the leupold fixed 4x scopes would be an excellent choice IMO if you were going elk hunting w/ it I would look into a 3-9x40 or a 3.5-10x40 if it were me I would look into a leupold vxII 3-9x40 or find a used leupold vari-xIII 3.5-10x40 as for leupold rings I figure im spending ALOT on my optics im not gonna skimp on the rings and bases its just not worth it to me to save $20-$30 and have inferior rings Ive had weavers in the past ( actual weaver brand) and found them to be cheap junk. anyways thats just my opinion. let us know what you get.

Aaron

12. wwb

wwb Super Member

Re: re: which scope to use??

Everybody has their own opinion.... I would say a 4X is too much, unless you're covering pretty open country from a stand and don't expect to see one up close.

If you're still hunting and jump one, or if you have to take a shot on a trotting or running deer in heavy cover, a 4X scope would be a terrible handicap.

I've hunted with a 1.5-4.5X for many years, and it's almost always set at 1.5X. Most of my shots are 25-50 yards, and the 1.5X is perfect. However, I've taken a couple deer at 75-100 yards with the scope set on 1.5X, and both were one-shot kills.

13. moontroll

moontroll Guest

I like this one over the VX1 http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3257 .Their strong very accurate with better glass and rain gaurd as a bonus.I have a VX11 and a Elite 3200 I like the Leupold but the Elite I think is better.The Elite wins aginst the VX1 theres no contest.

14. gator

gator Guest

The main difference between a shotgun scope and a centerfire scope is the distance at which the scope is set to be parallax free. Most rifle scopes are set at 150 yards (assuming they don't have an adjustable objective), while shotgun scopes are usually set at 75 yds. Likewise, rimfire scopes generally get set at 50. IMHO you might want to stay with a rifle scope to get the most out of that fine .308 round.
    Currently www.natchezss.com has both Burris 3x9 Fullfield II and Weaver under $200.
    Hope this helps.

15. gator

gator Guest

The main difference between a shotgun scope and a centerfire scope is the distance at which the scope is set to be parallax free. Most rifle scopes are set at 150 yards (assuming they don't have an adjustable objective), while shotgun scopes are usually set at 75 yds. Likewise, rimfire scopes generally get set at 50. IMHO you might want to stay with a rifle scope to get the most out of that fine .308 round.
    Currently www.natchezss.com has both Burris 3x9 Fullfield II and Weaver under $200.
    Hope this helps.