Shooting World Forums banner

Whistle Pig guns

12K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  MAX & TOBY 
#1 ·
So what do you all carry for whistle pigs (groundhogs for all you yankees). I carry my 17HMR or my 30-06 depeding if it's close or long range shooting I'm doing. I've also taken them with a crescent wrench but that is a story for a differnt time.

#2 ·
HunterJon said:
I've also taken them with a crescent wrench but that is a story for a differnt time.
You can't leave us hangin' like that! We want the crescent wrench story!!!!!!!!.....................

oh, yeah, groundhogs. Usually a 30-06, but sometimes as small as a .22mag if I know it's going to be a close (closer) shot. At least close enough that I can get a good head shot.

S.

#5 ·
The crescent wrench story. I have been working as a farm hand for the past 4 years, and one day I was teaching one of my friends how to drive a tractor. While we were out in the field I saw a whistle pig running around. So i told my friend to hand me the wrench that was sitting in the toolbox on the tractor, I then took off through the field after the the little sucker. I caught up to him and got fairly close, so I chucked the wrench boomerang style and clocked the thing in the head. Killed it right there. My friends back at the barn all thought I was full of it till I showed them the body.

#10 ·
I'll shoot 'em with anything I can lay my hands on, from the .22LR to my .338/06 Ackley Improved. I like the .22LR when i catch them eating my bean plants in the garden, and the .338/06 was probably a one time thing [target of opportunity]. Most of the time I'll use a .223 or my .22 Hornet. Most spectacular in performance is my .220 Swift with the Hornady 50 gr. V-Max. Unfortunately the gun is too heavy to carry around, its a fifties vintage benchrest competition gun. Seems like a good excuse to buy another gun...a medium weight .220 Swift sporter. Lets see if I can sneak that under the wife's radar.

#17 ·
reading this topic got me thinking about shooting some groundhogs. I've been seeing more and more hogs out around here but its gonna be alittle while yet until they are out in full effect, gotta love Ohio's weather (if you dont like it, wait 5 minutes :) ). Usually I use my 30-06 (Sierra 180gr hollow point boat tail matchkings) for groundhogs but this year I'm going to go back to my Winchester model 70 in .243 since I have a pretty sweet load for it using IMR 4895 powder and a Sierra 85gr hollow point boat tail bullet. Though if the rumor is true about Remington making 5mm magnum ammo again I may just use my 5mm to take some groundhogs...heck might even get out the 25-20 :D Cant wait until spring

#18 ·
phideaux_2003; If memory servs the 600 is a short barrel sporter, must be wicked fun to shoot! happen to know what the twist is on her?

Big Yac; I use 4350 for a nice round with the same bullet. Although I like the 70gr blitzking & 380 too. Either load smokes groundhogs. Now I just need to find a new place to hunt them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.