Why I Hunt Cape Buffalo and take along extra underwear!

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by luv2safari, Sep 14, 2005.

1. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Go to www.africanhuntersguild.com & go to SPECIAL FEATURES then click on SAFARI FOOTAGE. Look at the two cape buffalo hunts! :shock: :shock: :shock: The tracker in the second video was killed. The buffalo was pownding him against the base of the small tree.

L2S

2. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

:shock: :x :cry: screw that! if I ever get the scratch to goto africa

1. I will photograph elephants at a respectable distance in a sturdy vehicle.
    2. Hunt no sorry ENGAGE cape buffalo at minimum 800yrds with 50BMG
    3. Scrounge some elephant meat off of luvsafari just to see what it tastes like.

Two words for you man, Dumbo, and Babar

OH! safari, ever bag a hippo? what do they taste like?

3. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Re: re: Why I Hunt Cape Buffalo and take along extra underwe

Hippo and elephant taste similar...as to "what do they taste like?"...well...elephant tastes like hippo, and hippo tastes like elephant...both VERY tough! They both tase much like horse.

I don't hunt elephant, but have been told that they are the ultimate challenge. Hippo are quite dangerous, also. Cape buffalo are my rush! 8) :p I think you can see why. :shock: :shock:

All the Big Five safaris are getting too expensive for me, now. I'll hunt buff in Tanzania again and a leopard in Zimbabwe before I call it quits, however. They are both plentiful and are in no danger as species. Elephants are so numerous that they are presenting major problems in many areas of sub-Saharan Africa. To anyone who belives that Babar is about extinct...BS!

Wish I could easily post photos here; I'd show you a photo of an elephant that almost ran down our safari car and pulled a tracker off. We crowded her too much, and she was the herd cow with young...also have some pix of a very big buff.

I may post them on Photobucket and provide a link.

As to meat here in the US...can't bring it back. :( :( The African plains game can be some of the very best meat anyone ever tasted, but we have to eat it there...&*$%%$^%^%$$##$(*@##!!! :evil: :cry:

I'm getting to an age where I'll sell down my guns to pay for a safari. I bought them for investments, because I know I can't hold onto $$$. Now, they are my $$$ :D ...My only savings.

4. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

Hey Cook,

Weren't you just complaining about people who hunt animals like ...oh I don't ELEPHANT

5. mike .308

Hey Cook,

Weren't you just complaining about people who hunt animals like ...oh I don't ELEPHANT!!!

6. mike .308

Sorry computer error and read the post wrong.

7. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Oh, I know elephant aren't going extinct I just have a soft spot for them. Cool beans for the info luvsafari. Okay only way I can find out what elephant tastes like is to shoot a hippo, cause I won't shoot a horse either.

elephant = big grey horse with tusks and trunk.

There you go best way to put how I view elephants.

8. mike .308

You probaly wouldn't have a soft spot for them if one ran you over.

9. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Young horse is excellent meat. Back before the knucklehead do-gooders pushed through laws protecting the mustangs, we would pop a couple of yearlings and take the loins and hind quarters. It was some of the best meat I've ever had.

There is no such thing as a "wild horse"; they are feral horses, and many are horses that people release, because they find that horses are expensive to keep and a hullava lot of work. Our so called wild horses have NO natural enemy, and breed like bunnies. So, we have an explosion of them, and they have absolutely no nich in our environment. They destroy browse, eat up all the grass, trample water holes and eliminate struggling native game and other animals. I also like horses, but not as much as elephants. The western lands would be far better off if the mustang were eliminated completely.

We would also have a bunch of good pot roast and pet food. :wink: :idea: :wink:

I don't fault anyone who is averse to killing, and can join you somewhat in your affection for animals. As a cook, have you ever prepared horse? I hear the bleeding hearts are pressing to make it illegal to butcher horses. Maybe we should have a thread on preparation of vegans...they probably take several days soaking in salt water and marinade...yum,yum,yum... :shock: :shock: :wink:

10. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Make cooking something illegal!!!! how horrible! Luv safari, I have not have had the opportunity to cook horse. If much like elephant, horse meat finds its way into my freezer. I'll take a crack at it. Some wierd things I have cooked and eaten. Donkey, Dog, Snake, Monkey, Bat, Eel, Ardvark, Alligator, Crocodile, Cat, Rat, Desert Hare that's all that I can think of right now.

11. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

That's pretty exotic fare. :shock: I used to cook from Larouse Gastronomique (spelling???) It was the old French Bible on cooking. My favorite was the recipe for hare section...they started out something like this...

First, catch and kill several hare...draw them and hang them for seven days, or until ready, then remove the skin and fur...

It seems that French chefs needed a lot of detail in their instructions... :roll: :roll: :wink:

12. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

The book you pointed out I believe is THE book on frenchstyle cooking by the FATHER of frenchstyle cooking escofie (spellcheck) That man was nutz! I have the same book and that's where I get my hare recipies too. One thing that trips me out is the prodigious use of butter in all the recipies. The thing that I love about the book is that most all the recipies that he wrote down are still used today. Best of all if you have that book and look at newer and newer books you can see how things have evolved. Next time you look in a cook book to cook something, reference what escofie had written down. It's a trip. :D

Refrigeration is the number one invention of all time, better than the combustion engine :twisted:

13. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Luv2,

They left em hangin' so they didn't need to waste money on a marinade. Kinda marinade in their own juices(yuck). Let see,ain't marinade and ole french word for....ROT?

They used to leave fowl haning for a few days prior to cleaning and cooking also. No wonder you used to be considerd old if ya made it to 40. Food poisoning probably got a bunch.

HWD

14. Bobshouse

Bobshouse Guest

When I lived in France, at a very young age, they used to serve some type of raw meat on a platter. It was ground like hamburger. I think it was horse meat but I'm not sure, anyone know? Might have been ground steak..don't know for sure, but it sure was good to eat! Don't know what spices were used, if any...anyone have the receipe or ingredients?

Bob

15. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Ground sirloin, alittle virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and then what ever else you want to put in. Fresh basil is a good one, rosemary, thyme, garlic. The key to this dish is to get fresh ground beef, Buy sirloin steak and have em grind it for you.

As for the hanging of fowls. We in the cooking world like to call it AGING. From statistics, food poisoning is about at the same level as it always has been. Aging is a tried at true technique that when done by a profesional will not poison anyone. Peking duck is aged in this way. Aged steak is done the same. The reason why we can't eat aged pheasent in restaurants is because the FDA is wierd and doesn't trust people enough. Read up on Aging meats you'll get some awsome results

16. Peter V

Peter V Guest

Hi luv2safari,

Just a short note to say that the tracker you referred is still doing fine and out there hunting.

Glad you enjoyed my videos though! Have added some new stuff in the same special section on safari's in general.

Will pop by these forums when I can to stay in touch.

17. Bobshouse

Bobshouse Guest

Great! Glad to hear he made it...gotta admit, it did look like he was done for...

Bob

18. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Re: re: Why I Hunt Cape Buffalo and take along extra underwe

I had heard from several sources that he was mortally wounded in the attack...maybe they meant " gravely". In any case. I am happy he made it through. :D These guys have a tough job, and I have a lot of respect for a good tracker. They are amazing at times. They can see with the naked eye what I can't through binox... :shock:

Awfully glad you are visiting us here. I wanted the members to have your link. Do you still conduct the PH school?

Kind Regards,
    L2S

19. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Good evening Bob,I too lived in France for a spell,my dad was stationed there.We lived in Orleanes(spelling)in a township called Boujancey(again spelling)We ate horse meat all the time,most folks could not afford beef,especially soldiers familys.We had a fresh horse head on the front of the butchers shop every thursday and used that to test for freshness,the older the horse head the cheaper the meat.I remember it well.Drop-Shot

20. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

WHOA drop-shot that was an interesting comment about the horse head in the butchers shop. What year did you leave france? The cook is interested because this is related to his culinary kick.