Win 300 or Wby 300 or 300WSM

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by win707mm, Jun 7, 2005.

1. win707mm

win707mm Guest

I have been a peruser of this forum for quite sometime but have never posted anything. I will post this and will ask for your comments.
    I am going to buy a rifle chambered for one of the 3 rounds in the subjet line. I can't really decide which one I want and I am asking for your comments. I will pick the rifle and scope out, I have my own taste in both and am satisfied with my choices thus far.
    The gun will be used for large game mainly Elk and possibly a Bear if the opportunity presents itself.
    I can shoot at distance very effectively but hold myself to a standard. I will not take a shot I am not comfortable with and I am on the conservative side.
    I have several Weatherby magnums and like the Weatherby rifles, they all seem to be great shooters. I have had a Win 300 in a Browning and it was a great shooter and I took several nice trohies with it. I have not shot or owned on in the WSM. So, let me hear from you and give me your opinions on the 3.
    Thanks

2. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Win707mm of the calibers mentioned I have a weatherby 300 mag and boy does that thing kill,probebly too much.I shoot 180 gr Barnes x bullet and ruin alot of meat on muleys,I have not shot the 300 weatherby at elk yet.I was shooting up hill at about 80 yards and the entry was right behind the right leg and exited the off shoulder.I had to discard the whole off shoulder and some precious back strap too.I've killed 2 animals with it and the remington coreloct did the less damage.They fall where there hit has been my opinion.I feel they would take elk as easily but with a cost,damaged meat.The 200 gr bullet might be a better choice,mabe a nosler partition or a hornady interlock.For long distance the 300 weatherby shines but for short distance it ruins the meat.I don't own a 300 wsm or a 300 win mag but feel the 300 win mag would be a better choice for alround hunting,better for deer for sure and quite capable for elk also.All choices you gave will kill impressively,having other weatherby calibers you know of weatherbys killing power.Just my opinion,happy hunting.Drop-Shot

3. win707mm

win707mm Guest

Thanks Drop Shot, I was hoping for more repsonses on this but I very much appreciate your time and comments.
    I did buy the WBY300 simply because I like them and have had great service. It might be a little bit overkill but I would rather be on that side than the other.
    I topped the rifle with a Swarovski and although I have not shot this rig I think it will be fine.
    I also bought a rifle chambered for the 300short mag, topped it with a Leupold. This has not been shot yet either but this rifle was just to good to pass up. Now I have two more to choose from when hunting season rolls around.

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

win70,

Sorry I missed this one.I've owned different kinds of 300 win mags and am kinda partial to them. There ain't much in the lower 48 that is won't take cleanly. My son has one of the WSM's in a model 70 and keeps telling me to sell my regular 300 and buy one of these. NOT!! I'm to set in my ways to change now. Maybe I'll pick up one sometime to do some testing with. HHMM? I wonder if I could slip this one by the wife with that explanation? Probably not.
    A buddy of mine has a 700 chambered for the Weatherby 300 and loves it. All of them have manageable recoil so get which ever one ya like best.

Have ya played with one of the 300 Ultra Mags. WHOOOEEEE! That thing has some thump when ya shoot it off the bench! I shot one 3 times,checking it for accuracy, and was glad I didn't go for the 5 shot group. It'll cause ya to develope a flinch pretty quick. The CCRRACK!! of it will make ya want plugs and muffs.

HWD

5. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I have both the Win 300,s 6 in one hand ,a half dozen in the other. I love them both. ones my long range custom, the other a sporter and I,d hunt

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Win707mm which power Swarovski did you get?The only bad thing about the Swarovski is I can't afford one at this time.Everyone that I know that has one really likes them and boy do they keep their value!I looked at used ones and they were only 100-300 less than new ones.Weatherby and Swarovski is a great combination.Drop-Shot