Win Model 70 question

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by nicolisd, Apr 5, 2005.

1. nicolisd

nicolisd Guest

I bought a Win Model 70 XTR (push feed) two years ago. The rifle had been glass bedded and was in 98%.

When I shoot the rifle the bolt wants to stick and prevent me from cambering another round. If I play with it, the bolt eventually comes free.

Groups are fine and everything else is as to be expected. What is the problem? Can it be fixed?

This is a very important issue to me b/c I hunt with it and follow-up shots are of highest importance.

Thanks

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

Some possible causes.....

Handloads that are overloaded can cause the brass to darn near weld itself into the chamber. A faulty batch of factory ammo could do the same thing. Check the fired brass for any sign of excessive pressure.

The chamber itself could have a very poor finish - check it with a borescope and polishit or have it polished if that's the problem.

Bad chamber dimensions/excessive headspace or poor bolt fit at the chamber mouth could allow the brass to bulge just above the rim, and could bind the bolt.

3. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

nic,

I'd get a gunsmith to take a look at this rifle. It sounds like a headspace problem,but it could be a rough or screwed up chamber. I assume that you bought it used as you said it was at 98%. This may have been a concern from the previous owner also.

Get it looked at before something comes unglued and someone gets hurt,OKAY?

HWD

4. nicolisd

nicolisd Guest

Thanks guys. I'll have a gunsmith look at it.

wwb - What kind of engineering work do you do?

5. wwb

wwb Super Member

nicolisd -

I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, minor in Metallurgy, and an M.S. in Engineering Mechanics. I'm a 26 year SAE Member - spent most of my career in heavy mobile equipment, most recently with Manitowoc Cranes. Currently chief engineer for a small company that produces custom pressure testing and isolation tools for piping systems in power plants and refineries.

6. nicolisd

nicolisd Guest

wow. Very impressive.