winchester 72

Discussion in 'Rifle ID & Value' started by mak48, Aug 1, 2005.

1. mak48

mak48 Guest

I have a winchester model 72 .22 bolt action rifle. It was given to me by someone who obviously didn't care about it all that much. the blueing on the barrel is worn off in many spots. but the stock is beautiful. it has no serial number, and does anyone own one, if so is it difficult to work the bolt.

2. rocketmn

rocketmn Guest

I have one as well, the bolt doesn't seem too hard to work, mind you I have never shot it...I just recently got it.

A plain model 72 (not a Target Model or a Gallery Model) will go in the neighborhood of about $250, plus or minus depending on the condition.

3. Fred Willis

Fred Willis Guest

I had one years ago that would not feed thru the clip properly. Finally traded it in for something else.

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Mak,

Get ya GunScrubber and douche that bolt real well. It may have a bunch of old, gunked up grease in it. If it wasn't taken care of, it may need a good cleaning all the way around. Some 22s shoot better with a dirty bore. I'd clean the action area and bolt well. For the bore, I might push a dampened patch thru it, but wouldn't scrub it real well.

If it's clip fed you may want to hit it with the GunScrubber also. Clips catch a lot of trash over time.

HWD