Winchester Ultimate OR Sako Stainless

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by eclipse71, Dec 5, 2005.

1. eclipse71

eclipse71 Active Member

In the research of a very good rifle, i ask myself few question and need youre advice.

Quick Background: i own a 270 WSM Browning, and a 338 RUM Eclipse( custom )

After years, i'm tired a bit, Kept all the Reloading stuff, logistic, time... to feed two rifle! i sold them both. i want to have Only ONE to do everything. ( deer and moose )
    My caliber: 300 WSM
    I like the Browning with the 60 degree bolt, weight, lenght.
    But i believe 23 inch barrel in a 300 WSM a bit short, and light too ( recoil ).
    I know, the two rifle i look at, are very different, but for me there top end in there categories.
    Accuracy for me is VERY important.
    I look at the Winchester Ultimate Shadow,
    And the Sako Stainless Stalker, Maybe the grey wolf..not sure yet because of the 0.5 pound extra weight for the laminated stock.
    I think you can help me by youre advice to make the right choice.

2. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Win Vs Sako

The Sako is a far superior rifle, in my opinion. The newer Winchesters are not known for great accuracy...or much else, alas... :cry:

Winchester had better get their $hit together, or they will get the "post 1964" stigma all over again. :idea:

3. bgoldhunter

bgoldhunter Well-Known Member

I would go with the Winchester. Every new M70 I have will shoot MOA without working hard. If I do my part they will do much better. Build quality has been very nice, and I would buy another in a heartbeat.

I'm not a fan of Sako, and have had no luck with them.

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

The high end winchesters are nice looking rifles but if it were me I'd go with Sako.Drop-Shot

5. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I'm torn. I like my winchester 300 short mag, but the Sako.............especially the 75

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point I can readily agree with the high end 70 winchesters,I saw one earlier this afternoon and fit and finish was superb!It was a 300 WSM and was 895.00 on sale,that was not a wally world shooter,the wood was almost too nice to take into the woods and the blue was the deepest and darkest blue you will see on a production rifle.If I had the money I would have to try it out but then again the Sako 75 ain't no slouch either,not as pretty as the winchester but real nice and legendary accuracy and dependability,I'm glad I'm broke and could not afford either right now so I don't have to worry about choice.Drop-Shot

7. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Yeah Drop ,I understand .. I love my classic featherweight. If they made a lefty 75 in something other than 30-06 or 270 I might have to give it a go..........