Zeroing Scope Cross Hairs

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing & Restoration' started by mdkoh, Apr 9, 2005.

1. mdkoh

mdkoh Guest

Wow! This brought some stunned stares when I asked it, but it seemed that no one had an answer. If you get a scope and you want to get the cross hairs directly center of the lens parralex (hope thats the right way of statin it). How do you do this? I heard or read something one time about using a mirror but cannot remember the process. Some expertisewould be greatly appreciated.

2. ClintG

ClintG Member

mdkoh, The best thing to do is to go to Leupold's webb site and download their owners handbook. In this it will tell you about mounting, sight-in, adjustments and Parallax in variable or fixed power scopes.

This will save alot verbiage and you will have a hard copy for referrence.

Clint

3. vashooter

vashooter Well-Known Member

There is a very easy way to return cross hairs on a scope to their tru centered position. Simply adjust the line all the way over to one sie (or all the way up or down), then move it back all the way over to the opposite end of it's range- while carefully counting the "clicks" or the # of turns it takes to get there. Then just divide that # in half and move the same line back over that number of clicks or turns. Presto! Centered scope reticles. This of course has no effect on where the bullets land - it will just give you the center of the scope for a starting point.

Example- if it takes 50 clicks to move the verticle reticle from the far left to the far right, then just move it back 25 clicks from the far right and the verticle is centered. Do the same with the horizontal and you're done.

4. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

va...Yes, and one should do this before sighting in the rifle. That way you can use the rear mount windage adjustment to get real close, then just fine tune with the internal adjustments. Its always better to not over extend internal adjustments in my experience.

This a good topic, mdkoh. :D One overlooked too much, IMO.

5. vashooter

vashooter Well-Known Member

Re: re: Zeroing Scope Cross Hairs

Good point L2S- smart thing to do. Unfortunately some scope bases don't allow this- like the conetrol's and Ruger's built in base- great set up otherwise though.

6. cheesehunter

cheesehunter Guest

Re: re: Zeroing Scope Cross Hairs

Excellent point Vashooter: this is an important step in setting up a rifle even before bore-sighting it.
    10 bonus points and a golf clap for you!

7. 583

583 Guest

Why is this important? i switch the scopes on my rifle all the time, then i use a boresighter to get me on the paper the sight it in, ive never had any problems, can someone explain to me why this is important??